What to Consider About Assisted Living in Severna Park
Severna Park is bordered on two sides by the Magothy River and the Severn River, which both run into the Chesapeake Bay. It has a sizable senior population with 15 percent of the town's 38,000 residents aged 65 and older. There are nine assisted living facilities in Severna Park catering to the area's seniors and an additional 53 facilities nearby.
The licensing and monitoring of assisted living facilities in Severna Park is overseen by the Maryland Department of Health, Assisted Living Unit.
Benefits and Drawbacks of Assisted Living in Severna Park
- Severna Park gets around 13 inches of snow each year, which is half the national average, and the average low temperature in January is 27 degrees Fahrenheit. July high averages are 87 degrees, and the city has 211 days of sunshine each year, which is six days more than the national average. Seniors who enjoy spending time outdoors may appreciate these seasonal changes.
Anne Arundel County, including Severna Park, offers a curb-to-curb transport service to seniors aged 65 and over. The service transports seniors to limited sites including medical appointments and senior centers.
- Crime in Severna Park occurs at a rate of 19 crimes per 1,000 residents. Although this is higher than 58 percent of Maryland's other towns and cities, it's lower than communities of a similar size across America. Violent crime and property crime are lower than the state average, which may reassure safety-conscious seniors.
- Air quality in Anne Arundel County, including Severna Park, is mixed. The State of the Air 2018 report gives the county an "A" grade for particle pollution and a failing grade for ozone pollution. Seniors with respiratory conditions may need to assess how this will impact their health.
- The Severna Park area has few facilities from which to choose in the event of a medical emergency or illness, with the nearest major hospital located in Glen Burnie.
- Sperling's cost of living index rates Severna Park's overall cost of living at 159, which is 59 points higher than the national average. This is largely due to the high cost of housing, so seniors can still save money on groceries and healthcare, which are less expensive than both the state and national averages.
Paying for Assisted Living in Severna Park
Average Monthly Costs
Cities in Maryland
Assisted Living costs in Severna Park start around $4,966 per month on average, while the nationwide average cost of assisted living is $4,000 per month, according to the latest figures from Genworth’s Cost of Care Survey.
It’s important to note that assisted living rates in Severna Park and the surrounding suburbs can vary widely based on factors such as location, the level of care needed, apartment size and the types of amenities offered at each community.
Financial Assistance for Assisted Living in Severna Park
Seniors in small assisted living facilities in Severna Park may be able to access financial assistance through Maryland's Senior Assisted Living Group Home Subsidy. Seniors who are eligible for Social Security payments, or who would be eligible except for income, may also be able to receive the Optional State Supplement.
Learn more about these programs, plus who’s eligible, on our Assisted Living in Maryland page.
More Ways to Pay for Assisted Living
While many families use their own funds or personal assets to pay for assisted living, there are plenty of additional options to cover these costs. Some additional ways to finance assisted living costs include:
- Veterans Benefits
- Life Insurance Policy
- Long-Term Care Insurance
- Reverse Mortgage
For more information about different ways to finance assisted living, visit our Assisted Living in Maryland page.
Free Assisted Living Resources in Severna Park
Severna Park and the surrounding area are home to numerous government agencies and non-profit organizations offering help for seniors searching for or currently residing in an assisted living community. These organizations can also provide assistance in a number of other eldercare services such as geriatric care management, elder law advice, estate planning, finding home care and health and wellness programs.
Assisted Living Laws and Regulations in Severna Park
Severna Park-area assisted living communities must adhere to the comprehensive set of state laws and regulations that all assisted living communities in Maryland are required to follow. Visit our Assisted Living in Maryland page for more information about these laws.