Assisted Living in Scarborough
Atria Scarborough18 Black Point Road, Scarborough, ME
Scarborough Terrace600 Commerce Dr, Scarborough, ME
Pine Point Center67 Pine Point Road, Scarborough, ME
Gorham House50 New Portland Road, Gorham, ME
Seventy-Five State Street75 State Street, Portland, ME
Avita of Stroudwater113 Landing Road, Westbrook, ME
The Cedars620 - 640 Ocean Avenue, Portland, ME
Birchwoods at Canco Assisted Living86 Holiday Drive, Portland, ME
Seaside Rehab & Health Care850 Baxter Boulevard, Portland, ME
Portland Center for Assisted Living68 Devonshire Street, Portland, ME
At A Glance
There are 12 assisted living communities in the city and surrounding suburbs to choose from. The average cost of assisted living in Scarborough is $4,700 per month, according to the latest estimates from Genworth.
We're there at every step
Caring.com has been supporting families since 2007. Our free family advisor service has helped numerous families in the Scarborough area find the assisted living community that is right for them. Learn about how our team of family advisors can help you and your family at no cost by calling (855) 763-5743.
Get the insights you need to find the right community.
- See more than 12 reviews of assisted living communities in the Scarborough area from residents and their loved ones.
- Browse our comprehensive directory of 12 assisted living communities in the Scarborough area for photos and information about amenities, costs and more.
What to Consider About Assisted Living in Scarborough
Scarborough is a coastal city with a rich, natural landscape featuring beaches and large areas of marshland. Scarborough was incorporated in 1658 and is named after a city in Yorkshire, England. In addition to colonial history and unique wildlife, seniors will find 12 Assisted Living Facilities (ALFs) in the area. Three are located within Scarborough, and another nine are close by. These facilities are known as Residential Care Facilities in Scarborough, and are defined as facilities that provide personal care services and supervision to seniors in a homelike setting. Residents may receive meal services, medication management and organized social activities. ALFs statewide are licensed and regulated by the Maine Department of Health and Human Services.
Benefits and Drawbacks of Assisted Living in Scarborough
- The Scarborough area is home to world-class medical facilities, including Maine Medical Center, in the event of medical emergencies or illness.
- Scarborough has a comfortable summer climate with an average high temperature of 78 degrees in July, so seniors can participate in outdoor activities with ease. Seniors with limited mobility may find it difficult to get around in the winter, with an average low temperature of 13 degrees in January and 64 inches of snowfall.
- The crime rate in Scarborough is relatively low compared to U.S. averages, so seniors and their loved ones can feel secure. Violent crime is rated at 31 out of 100 (1 being the safest), which is right around the national average of 31.1. Property crime is rated at 31.1, which is lower than the national average of 38.1.
- Cumberland County was given a great Ozone rating of B and a Particle Pollution 24-hour score of A by the American Lung Association. Seniors with a respiratory illness might have less health complications here than in other parts of the state.
- Seniors living in Scarborough can take in the area’s natural beauty by watching rare birds feeding in the marsh and visiting the Scarborough Marsh Audobon Society for Maine-made gifts. Some facilities may offer day trips into the nearby city of Portland to peruse boutiques or see a play at the Portland Stage Theatre of Maine.
- While some ALFs in the area may offer shuttle services for seniors, the Scarborough area has no public bus system, which means seniors may have a difficult time traveling to appointments.
Paying for Assisted Living in Scarborough
Average Monthly Costs
Cities in Maine
Assisted Living costs in Scarborough start around $4,700 per month on average, while the nationwide average cost of assisted living is $4,000 per month, according to the latest figures from Genworth’s Cost of Care Survey.
It’s important to note that assisted living rates in Scarborough and the surrounding suburbs can vary widely based on factors such as location, the level of care needed, apartment size and the types of amenities offered at each community.
Financial Assistance for Assisted Living in Scarborough
Seniors on a budget may be eligible for aid covering assisted living costs through MaineCare’s Long-Term Care program which is offered by the state’s Medicaid plan. Unfortunately, there are no non-Medicaid programs available for ALFs.
Learn more about these programs, plus who’s eligible, on our Assisted Living in Maine page.
More Ways to Pay for Assisted Living
While many families use their own funds or personal assets to pay for assisted living, there are plenty of additional options to cover these costs. Some additional ways to finance assisted living costs include:
- Veterans Benefits
- Life Insurance Policy
- Long-Term Care Insurance
- Reverse Mortgage
For more information about different ways to finance assisted living, visit our Assisted Living in Maine page.
Free Assisted Living Resources in Scarborough
Scarborough and the surrounding area are home to numerous government agencies and non-profit organizations offering help for seniors searching for or currently residing in an assisted living community. These organizations can also provide assistance in a number of other eldercare services such as geriatric care management, elder law advice, estate planning, finding home care and health and wellness programs.
Assisted Living Laws and Regulations in Scarborough
Scarborough-area assisted living communities must adhere to the comprehensive set of state laws and regulations that all assisted living communities in Maine are required to follow. Visit our Assisted Living in Maine page for more information about these laws.