Assisted Living in Lewiston
Montello Commons540 College St, Lewiston, ME
Marshwood Center33 Roger Street, Lewiston, ME
Schooner Estates200 Stetson Road, Auburn, ME
Clover Health Care440 Minot Avenue, Auburn, ME
The Lamp Alzheimer's Residential Care Facility64 Lisbon Rd, Lisbon, ME
The Chapman House41 Pleasant Street, Auburn, ME
We're there at every step
Caring.com has been supporting families since 2007. Our free family advisor service has helped numerous families in the Lewiston area find the assisted living community that is right for them. Learn about how our team of family advisors can help you and your family at no cost by calling (855) 763-5743.
Get the insights you need to find the right community.
- See more than 7 reviews of assisted living communities in the Lewiston area from residents and their loved ones.
- Browse our comprehensive directory of 6 assisted living communities in the Lewiston area for photos and information about amenities, costs and more.
What to Consider About Assisted Living in Lewiston
Maine’s Department of Health and Human Services oversees assisted living. Their licensing and oversight is according to C.M.R. 10-144 Chapter 113 of state law. Lewiston has two local assisted living facilities with another 20 in the surrounding area including Auburn. While the national average monthly cost for assisted living is $3,750, Maine’s median cost for assisted living is $4,850, still lower than New Hampshire at $4,855 and Massachusetts at $5,599.
Benefits and Drawbacks of Assisted Living in Lewiston
- Seniors can take advantage of the fresh air which the mostly rural State of Maine enjoys. The state has generally excellent air quality rankings from the American Lung Association. Lewiston, the second largest city in Maine, and surrounding Androscoggin County get an A rating for air quality.
- Personal safety is a big plus for seniors living in Lewiston. The city of Lewiston gets a rating of 17.0 for violent crime compared to a national average of 31.1 and an overall Maine rating of 15.7. For property crimes, Lewiston is rated 43.6 versus a national value of 38.1 and 24.1 for Maine.
- Lewiston has a comfort index of 37 out of 100, with mild summers great for seniors to get out and enjoy the state's beauty but typically cold winters. It receives an average of 46 inches of rain each year and 68 inches of snow compared to a national average of 39 inches of rain and 26 of snow. Relative to a national average of 205 sunny days, Lewiston's annual average is 197. July's typically have a high of 80F, January dips to the single digits at 9F.
- Lewiston's cost of living rating relative to an average of 100 is 94.7. This reflects a rating of 67 for housing, but grocery, health care, utilities and other costs generally are 5 to 15 points above 100, adding a bit to seniors' shopping budget and incidental costs.
- Transit and transportation options around Lewiston include medical transport for MaineCare patients, free or low-cost rides for seniors' errands and local trips, plus local transit.
- Lewiston has active senior programs and trips throughout Maine and surrounding states. A local arts and culture agency promotes several dozen arts and culture organizations including those at local colleges.
Paying for Assisted Living in Lewiston
Average Monthly Costs
Cities in Maine
Assisted Living costs in Lewiston start around $0 per month on average, while the nationwide average cost of assisted living is $4,000 per month, according to the latest figures from Genworth’s Cost of Care Survey.
It’s important to note that assisted living rates in Lewiston and the surrounding suburbs can vary widely based on factors such as location, the level of care needed, apartment size and the types of amenities offered at each community.
Financial Assistance for Assisted Living in Lewiston
In addition to Medicaid, Maine has a database of over 400 state, federal, local and private programs to help pay for assisted living. Assistance in reviewing these opportunities is available at the Lewiston Area Agency on Aging.
Learn more about these programs, plus who’s eligible, on our Assisted Living in Maine page.
More Ways to Pay for Assisted Living
While many families use their own funds or personal assets to pay for assisted living, there are plenty of additional options to cover these costs. Some additional ways to finance assisted living costs include:
- Veterans Benefits
- Life Insurance Policy
- Long-Term Care Insurance
- Reverse Mortgage
For more information about different ways to finance assisted living, visit our Assisted Living in Maine page.
Free Assisted Living Resources in Lewiston
Lewiston and the surrounding area are home to numerous government agencies and non-profit organizations offering help for seniors searching for or currently residing in an assisted living community. These organizations can also provide assistance in a number of other eldercare services such as geriatric care management, elder law advice, estate planning, finding home care and health and wellness programs.
Assisted Living Laws and Regulations in Lewiston
Lewiston-area assisted living communities must adhere to the comprehensive set of state laws and regulations that all assisted living communities in Maine are required to follow. Visit our Assisted Living in Maine page for more information about these laws.