Assisted Living in Alexandria
Brookdale Alexandria351 Windermere, Alexandria, LA
Almor Ponderosa830 McKeithen Dr, Alexandria, LA
England Oaks Senior Living6956 England Dr, Alexandria, LA
Marigold Place5723 Jackson Street, Alexandria, LA
Canterbury House1101 16th Street, Alexandria, LA
Volunteers of America Transitional Residence2085 Rainbow Dr., Pineville, LA
At A Glance
There are 6 assisted living communities in the city and surrounding suburbs to choose from. The average cost of assisted living in Alexandria is $1,900 per month, according to the latest estimates from Genworth.
We're there at every step
Caring.com has been supporting families since 2007. Our free family advisor service has helped numerous families in the Alexandria area find the assisted living community that is right for them. Learn about how our team of family advisors can help you and your family at no cost by calling (855) 763-5743.
Get the insights you need to find the right community.
- See more than 24 reviews of assisted living communities in the Alexandria area from residents and their loved ones.
- Browse our comprehensive directory of 6 assisted living communities in the Alexandria area for photos and information about amenities, costs and more.
What to Consider About Assisted Living in Alexandria
Alexandria, Louisiana is located in Rapides Parish, which is in the middle of the state. The big city feel coupled with the surrounding rural area appeal to seniors who want convenience of being close to the services while still be able to enjoy the peace of the countryside. Individuals who need the help of an assisted living community can check out the five in the city, as well as one other that is located nearby Pineville.
Benefits and Drawbacks of Assisted Living in Alexandria
- An average of 215 sunny days per year and mild winters with lows around 38 degrees Fahrenheit in January might appeal to seniors. The hot summers, which are also humid, might be a bit much for some. The average high in July is 92 degrees Fahrenheit. There usually isn’t snow in Alexandria; however, it does happen sometimes.
- Seniors who have respiratory challenges might struggle some in Alexandria. The air quality score is below the national average. Nationally, the average is 58, but the city only comes in at 47.
- The cost of living in Alexandria is 87.4, which is much lower than the national score of 100. Seniors should know that the health cost of index in the city is a bit higher than the national average. Alexandria’s score in this area is 105.
- High crime rates might make some seniors away from Alexandria. Nationally, the country has an average property crime rate of 38.1 and a violent crime rate of 31.3. In Alexandria, the property crime rate is 86.0 and the violent crime rate if 93.0.
- The Atrans bus system services the Alexandria area. It runs from 6:10 each morning until 6:00 in the evening. The service offers half-price fares for people who are 62 years and older, as well as those who meet the requirements for a special disabled program and those who have a Medicare card.
- The Alexandria area is home to world-class medical facilities, including Rapides Regional Medical Center and CHRISTUS St. Frances Cabrini Hospital, in the event of medical emergencies or illness.
Paying for Assisted Living in Alexandria
Average Monthly Costs
Cities in Louisiana
Assisted Living costs in Alexandria start around $2,272 per month on average, while the nationwide average cost of assisted living is $4,000 per month, according to the latest figures from Genworth’s Cost of Care Survey.
It’s important to note that assisted living rates in Alexandria and the surrounding suburbs can vary widely based on factors such as location, the level of care needed, apartment size and the types of amenities offered at each community.
Financial Assistance for Assisted Living in Alexandria
Louisiana senior citizens might be able to use a Medicaid waiver to help cover some of the costs of assisted living. The state offers the Community Choices Waiver, the Adult Day Health Care Waiver, Long-Term Personal Care Services, and Program for All-Inclusive Care for the Elderly.
Learn more about these programs, plus who’s eligible, on our Assisted Living in Louisiana page.
More Ways to Pay for Assisted Living
While many families use their own funds or personal assets to pay for assisted living, there are plenty of additional options to cover these costs. Some additional ways to finance assisted living costs include:
- Veterans Benefits
- Life Insurance Policy
- Long-Term Care Insurance
- Reverse Mortgage
For more information about different ways to finance assisted living, visit our Assisted Living in Louisiana page.
Free Assisted Living Resources in Alexandria
Alexandria and the surrounding area are home to numerous government agencies and non-profit organizations offering help for seniors searching for or currently residing in an assisted living community. These organizations can also provide assistance in a number of other eldercare services such as geriatric care management, elder law advice, estate planning, finding home care and health and wellness programs.
Assisted Living Laws and Regulations in Alexandria
Alexandria-area assisted living communities must adhere to the comprehensive set of state laws and regulations that all assisted living communities in Louisiana are required to follow. Visit our Assisted Living in Louisiana page for more information about these laws.