17 Assisted Living Facilities in Merrillville, IN
Also serving communities of Gary.
Towne Centre7250 Arthur Blvd, Merrillville, IN
Virginia Place8253 Virginia Street, Merrillville, IN
Spring Mill Health Campus101 West 87th Avenue, Merrillville, IN
Brentwood at Hobart1420 Saint Marys Circle, Hobart, IN
Brookdale Portage3444 Swanson Road, Portage, IN
Clarendale of Schererville7770 Burr St., Schererville, IN
Bickford of Crown Point140 E. 107th Ave, Crown Point, IN
Residences at Deer Creek401 U.S. 30, Schererville, IN
2016, 2017, 2018, 2019
Wittenberg Lutheran Village1200 E Luther Dr, Crown Point, IN
Rittenhouse Village at Portage6235 Sterling Creek Rd, Portage, IN
Assisted Living at Hartsfield Village10000 Columbia Avenue, Munster, IN
St. Anthony Home203 Franciscan Drive, Crown Point, IN
Crown Point Christian Village6685 E 117th Ave, Crown Point, IN
Park Place Health & Wellness Center10820 Park Place, Saint John, IN
Dyer Nursing and Rehabilitation Center601 SHEFFIELD AVE, Dyer, IN
Miller Beach Terrace4905 Melton Road, Gary, IN
Lake Park Residential Care2075 RIPLEY ST, Lake Station, IN
At A Glance
There are 17 assisted living communities in the city and surrounding suburbs to choose from. The average cost of assisted living in Merrillville is $2,497 per month, according to the latest estimates from Genworth.
We're there at every step
Caring.com has been supporting families since 2007. Our free family advisor service has helped numerous families in the Merrillville area find the assisted living community that is right for them. Learn about how our team of family advisors can help you and your family at no cost by calling (855) 763-5743.
Get the insights you need to find the right community.
- See more than 38 reviews of assisted living communities in the Merrillville area from residents and their loved ones.
- Browse our comprehensive directory of 17 assisted living communities in the Merrillville area for photos and information about amenities, costs and more.
What to Consider About Assisted Living in Merrillville
Located in the Chicago metropolitan area, Merrillville is the most populated town in Indiana. Seniors may want to be entertained at the Indiana Ballet Theatre or the Star Plaza Theatre or take in the sights at the Merrillville Community Planetarium or the Merrillville-Ross Township Historical Museum.
For long-term care, seniors have two assisted living options in Indiana: assisted living facilities (ALF) and residential care facilities (RCF). The only difference between the two is the level of care offered. They provide residents with three meals per day and help with their regular activities of daily living (ADLs). Only three facilities are located within the Merrillville city limits, but there are 21 communities in the surrounding area.
Benefits and Drawbacks of Assisted Living in Merrillville
- The Gary Public Transportation Corp. (GPTC) operates the public bus service that runs through downtown Merrillville. Seniors pay discounted rates for single-ride fares, but there isn't a senior discount for multiple-day passes.
- The cost of living in Merrillville is higher than the state median and the national average, so seniors can expect to pay more for groceries and health care.
- Indiana is moderately tax-friendly to seniors. While pension withdraws and income from private and personal pensions are all fully taxed, Social Security income isn't taxed at all.
- The Merrillville area is home to world-class medical facilities, including Methodist Southlake Hospital, Vibra Hospital of Northwestern Indiana, and Pinnacle Hospital Crown Point, in the event of medical emergencies or illness.
Merrillville's crime rate is higher than 92% of Indiana's other cities and towns of all sizes. When compared to other cities of a similar size, Merrillville's crime rate per thousand residents is higher than most.
- Lake County, Indiana, has a low quality of air. According to the American Lung Association, the county has unhealthful levels of ozone and particle pollution, which could make it difficult for some seniors to regularly enjoy outdoor activities.
Paying for Assisted Living in Merrillville
Average Monthly Costs
Cities in Indiana
Assisted Living costs in Merrillville start around $2,497 per month on average, while the nationwide average cost of assisted living is $4,000 per month, according to the latest figures from Genworth’s Cost of Care Survey.
It’s important to note that assisted living rates in Merrillville and the surrounding suburbs can vary widely based on factors such as location, the level of care needed, apartment size and the types of amenities offered at each community.
Financial Assistance for Assisted Living in Merrillville
Seniors in the Merrillville area who need help paying for the costs of assisted living can apply for the Regional Care Assistance Program (RCAP). Also, Indiana's Medicaid Waiver program helps pay costs of residing in an assisted living facility as long as the facility is registered as an RCF.
Learn more about these programs, plus who’s eligible, on our Assisted Living in Indiana page.
More Ways to Pay for Assisted Living
While many families use their own funds or personal assets to pay for assisted living, there are plenty of additional options to cover these costs. Some additional ways to finance assisted living costs include:
- Veterans Benefits
- Life Insurance Policy
- Long-Term Care Insurance
- Reverse Mortgage
For more information about different ways to finance assisted living, visit our Assisted Living in Indiana page.
Free Assisted Living Resources in Merrillville
Merrillville and the surrounding area are home to numerous government agencies and non-profit organizations offering help for seniors searching for or currently residing in an assisted living community. These organizations can also provide assistance in a number of other eldercare services such as geriatric care management, elder law advice, estate planning, finding home care and health and wellness programs.
Assisted Living Laws and Regulations in Merrillville
Merrillville-area assisted living communities must adhere to the comprehensive set of state laws and regulations that all assisted living communities in Indiana are required to follow. Visit our Assisted Living in Indiana page for more information about these laws.