Assisted Living in Valdosta
Langdale Place2720 WINDEMERE DRIVE, Valdosta, GA
Fellowship Home at Brookside470 FELLOWSHIP HOME LANE, Valdosta, GA
Baptist Village Lake Park763 JOHNSTON WAY, Lake Park, GA
We're there at every step
Caring.com has been supporting families since 2007. Our free family advisor service has helped numerous families in the Valdosta area find the assisted living community that is right for them. Learn about how our team of family advisors can help you and your family at no cost by calling (855) 763-5743.
Get the insights you need to find the right community.
- See more than 10 reviews of assisted living communities in the Valdosta area from residents and their loved ones.
- Browse our comprehensive directory of 3 assisted living communities in the Valdosta area for photos and information about amenities, costs and more.
What to Consider About Assisted Living in Valdosta
Valdosta, on the southern border of Georgia, was named one America’s Friendliest Cities by Rand McNally and USA Today’s Best of the Road contest in 2011. Seniors — almost 22 percent of the population — can choose from five assisted living facilities located in and around Valdosta, all of which are regulated by the Georgia Department of Community Health. This type of facility is defined by the state as those having 25 or more residents.
Benefits and Drawbacks of Assisted Living in Valdosta
The State of Georgia Division of Aging Services provides a number of services for residents age 60 and older, including meals, counseling and physical fitness programs. There is also a senior center in Valdosta.
- Valdosta is located directly on I-75, which connects the city to Macon, Georgia, to the north and Gainesville, Florida, to the south. In addition, Lowndes County provides point-to-point transportation for disabled persons and those with financial burdens.
- Valdosta is home to world-class medical facilities, including South Georgia Medical Center, in the event of medical emergencies or illness.
- Located in south-central Georgia just north of the Florida state line, Valdosta is known for its hot, humid summers and mild winters. The average high temperature in January is 62 degrees Fahrenheit and 91 degrees in July.
- Valdosta offers a number of cultural events, sites and museums. Chief among these are the annual Azalea Festival, Grand Bay Wildlife Park, the Lowndes County Historical Society and Museum, The Turner Center for the Arts, the Dedo Maranville Fine Arts Gallery and The Crescent historic home. The majority of Valdosta events and attractions offer senior discounts to those age 65 and older.
- Crime, particularly theft and property crime, is an increasing problem in Valdosta, as it is in many other parts of Georgia. The crime rate in Valdosta is 106 percent higher than the national average and the city is safer than just 17 percent of other American cities.
Paying for Assisted Living in Valdosta
Average Monthly Costs
Cities in Georgia
Assisted Living costs in Valdosta start around $0 per month on average, while the nationwide average cost of assisted living is $4,000 per month, according to the latest figures from Genworth’s Cost of Care Survey.
It’s important to note that assisted living rates in Valdosta and the surrounding suburbs can vary widely based on factors such as location, the level of care needed, apartment size and the types of amenities offered at each community.
Financial Assistance for Assisted Living in Valdosta
Various state programs can provide financial assistance for those who are eligible in Valdosta. Seniors who are eligible for Medicaid can apply to Service Options Using Resources in a Community Environment (SOURCE) for intermediate-level nursing care in an assisted living setting, whereas those who need a little less assistance can apply to the Community Care Services Program (CCSP).
Learn more about these programs, plus who’s eligible, on our Assisted Living in Georgia page.
More Ways to Pay for Assisted Living
While many families use their own funds or personal assets to pay for assisted living, there are plenty of additional options to cover these costs. Some additional ways to finance assisted living costs include:
- Veterans Benefits
- Life Insurance Policy
- Long-Term Care Insurance
- Reverse Mortgage
For more information about different ways to finance assisted living, visit our Assisted Living in Georgia page.
Free Assisted Living Resources in Valdosta
Valdosta and the surrounding area are home to numerous government agencies and non-profit organizations offering help for seniors searching for or currently residing in an assisted living community. These organizations can also provide assistance in a number of other eldercare services such as geriatric care management, elder law advice, estate planning, finding home care and health and wellness programs.
Assisted Living Laws and Regulations in Valdosta
Valdosta-area assisted living communities must adhere to the comprehensive set of state laws and regulations that all assisted living communities in Georgia are required to follow. Visit our Assisted Living in Georgia page for more information about these laws.