57 Assisted Living Facilities in Avon, CT
River Ridge at Avon101 Bickford Extension, Avon, CT
The Residence at Brookside117 Simsbury Road, Avon, CT
Landmark at Monastery Heights110 Monastery Avenue, West Springfield, MA
The Hearth at Southbury655 Main Street South, Southbury, CT
Atria Hamilton HeightsOne Hamilton Heights Drive, West Hartford, CT
2014, 2015, 2016
The Village at South Farms645 Saybrook Road, Middletown, CT
Geer Village77 South Canaan Road, Canaan, CT
Brookdale Farmington20 Devonwood Drive, Farmington, CT
The Village at East Farms180 Scott Road, Waterbury, CT
Benchmark Senior Living at Hamden35 Hamden Hills Drive, Hamden, CT
Keystone Place at Newbury Brook1058 Litchfield Street, Torrington, CT
The Village at Buckland Court432 Buckland Road, South Windsor, CT
Atria Greenridge PlaceOne Elizabeth Court, Rocky Hill, CT
Brookdale West Hartford22 Simsbury Road, West Hartford, CT
Ruth's House780 Converse Street, Longmeadow, MA
Brookdale ChatfieldOne Chatfield Drive, West Hartford, CT
Atria Glastonbury1177 Hebron Avenue, Glastonbury, CT
The Village at Kensington Place511 Kensington Ave, Meriden, CT
Brookdale Rocky Hill60 Cold Spring Rd., Rocky Hill, CT
Hoffman SummerWood Community160 Simsbury Road , West Hartford, CT
We're there at every step
Caring.com has been supporting families since 2007. Our free family advisor service has helped numerous families in the Avon area find the assisted living community that is right for them. Learn about how our team of family advisors can help you and your family at no cost by calling (855) 763-5743.
Get the insights you need to find the right community.
- See more than 16 reviews of assisted living communities in the Avon area from residents and their loved ones.
- Browse our comprehensive directory of 57 assisted living communities in the Avon area for photos and information about amenities, costs and more.
What to Consider About Assisted Living in Avon
Avon is a suburb of Hartford in the Farmington Valley region of Hartford County, Connecticut. This quaint community lies along the Farmington Canal Heritage Trail and is home to just under 20,000 people. Seniors in Avon make up 18.9 percent of the population and are served by two assisted living facilities in Avon and more than 100 in the surrounding cities. While the Connecticut Department of Public Health doesn't license assisted living facilities individually, it does regulate Assisted Living Service Agencies who provide services for assisted living.
Benefits and Drawbacks of Assisted Living in Avon
- The Avon area cost of living is 35.8 percent higher than the U.S. average, which may affect seniors on a tight budget. Most of this is due to high housing costs but transportation, grocery and health care are all slightly above national medians.
- Winters can be quite cold in Avon with average lows of 17 degrees Fahrenheit in January and snowfall of 39 inches per year. This may be difficult for seniors who enjoy outdoor activities. Summers are warm with highs of 83 degrees in June and rainfall averages around 50 inches annually.
- Avon has less exposure to crime than nearby Hartford and is safer than 80 percent of U.S. cities. Violent and property crimes receive low scores of 13.1 and 16.2 out of 100, so seniors can feel safe traveling around town.
- CTTransit provides public buses with reduced fares for adults over 65. Dial-A-Ride offers seniors over 60 transportation to various destinations in Avon. Allied Transportation provides services to seniors in need of a ride to medical appointments, shopping and other activities in the greater Hartford area.
- Connecticut taxes all types of retirement income, although Social Security may be exempt for certain seniors. This may leave less money for seniors to put toward assisted living.
- Avon has an array of community resources, including Seniors on the Move, an organization that provides health clinics and screenings, lunches and games for seniors as well as one senior center.
Paying for Assisted Living in Avon
Average Monthly Costs
Cities in Connecticut
Assisted Living costs in Avon start around $5,725 per month on average, while the nationwide average cost of assisted living is $4,000 per month, according to the latest figures from Genworth’s Cost of Care Survey.
It’s important to note that assisted living rates in Avon and the surrounding suburbs can vary widely based on factors such as location, the level of care needed, apartment size and the types of amenities offered at each community.
Financial Assistance for Assisted Living in Avon
Two governmental programs in Connecticut, the Assisted Living Program, which is a state medical waiver within the Connecticut Home Care Program for Elders (CHCPE), and the Community First Choice Program, a program that helps Medicaid members with activities of daily living, can help to provide seniors with financial assistance for costs other than room and board.
Learn more about these programs, plus who’s eligible, on our Assisted Living in Connecticut page.
More Ways to Pay for Assisted Living
While many families use their own funds or personal assets to pay for assisted living, there are plenty of additional options to cover these costs. Some additional ways to finance assisted living costs include:
- Veterans Benefits
- Life Insurance Policy
- Long-Term Care Insurance
- Reverse Mortgage
For more information about different ways to finance assisted living, visit our Assisted Living in Connecticut page.
Free Assisted Living Resources in Avon
Avon and the surrounding area are home to numerous government agencies and non-profit organizations offering help for seniors searching for or currently residing in an assisted living community. These organizations can also provide assistance in a number of other eldercare services such as geriatric care management, elder law advice, estate planning, finding home care and health and wellness programs.
Assisted Living Laws and Regulations in Avon
Avon-area assisted living communities must adhere to the comprehensive set of state laws and regulations that all assisted living communities in Connecticut are required to follow. Visit our Assisted Living in Connecticut page for more information about these laws.