What to Consider About Assisted Living in Modesto
Modesto, California, is centrally located, so seniors here who long for some out-of-town excitement can easily visit the attractions in nearby San Francisco, Sacramento and Yosemite National Park. In Modesto though, there is also much to do. Seniors can eat fresh produce from farmer's markets, explore parks and museums and attend classic car parades and street fairs.
In Modesto, assisted living communities are called Residential Care Facilities (RCFs) and defined as facilities where at least three-quarters of the residents are 60 years of age or older. There are 25 assisted living facilities located in Modesto and another 18 nearby, all regulated by the California Department of Social Services, Community Care Licensing Division.
Benefits and Drawbacks of Assisted Living in Modesto
- With Modesto's average annual temperature of 63.6 degrees Fahrenheit, seniors settling into one of the city's assisted living communities can expect to enjoy mild winters and plenty of sunshine year-round.
- Assisted living facilities in Modesto offer a variety of planned activities and outings. Residents may enjoy taking in a matinee at the Gallo Center for the Arts, shopping, wine tasting at local wineries or gaming at a casino. Baseball fans can cheer on the Modesto Nuts, the city’s minor league baseball team, while outdoor enthusiasts can go golfing or stroll through one of the city’s many parks.
- Assisted living facility fees in Modesto are lower than the national average. Also, the cost of living in Modesto, while slightly above the national average, is still well below the California state average.
- Modesto’s public transportation options make getting around easy. The Modesto Area Express (MAX) buses serve the city, while the Stanislaus Regional Transit (StaRT) system provides service to outlying areas. MAX also operates a special paratransit system at a reduced cost for seniors and disabled persons who qualify.
- No city is perfect and, unfortunately, Modesto’s crime rates are higher than the state average, especially for car theft.
- Air pollution is another drawback to consider before deciding to call Modesto home. According to the American Lung Association, Modesto ranks among the worst U.S. cities for air quality, making it an especially unhealthy choice for seniors with asthma or other breathing conditions.
Paying for Assisted Living in Modesto
Average Monthly Costs
Cities in California
Assisted Living costs in Modesto start around $2,958 per month on average, while the nationwide average cost of assisted living is $4,000 per month, according to the latest figures from Genworth’s Cost of Care Survey.
It’s important to note that assisted living rates in Modesto and the surrounding suburbs can vary widely based on factors such as location, the level of care needed, apartment size and the types of amenities offered at each community.
Financial Assistance for Assisted Living in Modesto
For many seniors considering a move into assisted living, one of the most significant concerns is the cost. Fortunately, help is available to those who qualify through California’s Optional State Supplement (OSS) to Supplemental Security Income (SSI).
Learn more about these programs, plus who’s eligible, on our Assisted Living in California page.
More Ways to Pay for Assisted Living
While many families use their own funds or personal assets to pay for assisted living, there are plenty of additional options to cover these costs. Some additional ways to finance assisted living costs include:
- Veterans Benefits
- Life Insurance Policy
- Long-Term Care Insurance
- Reverse Mortgage
For more information about different ways to finance assisted living, visit our Assisted Living in California page.
Free Assisted Living Resources in Modesto
Modesto and the surrounding area are home to numerous government agencies and non-profit organizations offering help for seniors searching for or currently residing in an assisted living community. These organizations can also provide assistance in a number of other eldercare services such as geriatric care management, elder law advice, estate planning, finding home care and health and wellness programs.
Assisted Living Laws and Regulations in Modesto
Modesto-area assisted living communities must adhere to the comprehensive set of state laws and regulations that all assisted living communities in California are required to follow. Visit our Assisted Living in California page for more information about these laws.