Assisted Living in Alhambra
Brookdale Alhambra1 East Commonwealth, Alhambra, CA
Evergreen Senior Care528 Howard Street, Alhambra, CA
Marguerite Gardens700 NORTH STONEMAN AVENUE, Alhambra, CA
Hollenbeck Palms573 S. Boyle Avenue, Los Angeles, CA
Fair Oaks by Regency Park951 S. Fair Oaks Ave., Pasadena, CA
Windsor1230 East Windsor Road, Glendale, CA
Pasadena Highlands1575 E. Washington Boulevard, Pasadena, CA
Sakura Gardens325 South Boyle Avenue, Los Angeles, CA
The Terraces at Park Marino2587 E. Washington Blvd., Pasadena, CA
Sunrise of San Marino8332 Huntington Drive, San Gabriel, CA
At A Glance
There are 57 assisted living communities in the city and surrounding suburbs to choose from. The average cost of assisted living in Alhambra is $2,722 per month, according to the latest estimates from Genworth.
We're there at every step
Caring.com has been supporting families since 2007. Our free family advisor service has helped numerous families in the Alhambra area find the assisted living community that is right for them. Learn about how our team of family advisors can help you and your family at no cost by calling (855) 763-5743.
Get the insights you need to find the right community.
- See more than 18 reviews of assisted living communities in the Alhambra area from residents and their loved ones.
- Browse our comprehensive directory of 57 assisted living communities in the Alhambra area for photos and information about amenities, costs and more.
What to Consider About Assisted Living in Alhambra
Alhambra is found in the San Gabriel Valley region of Los Angeles County, California, in close proximity to Los Angeles Assisted living facilities in Alhambra, California are officially called residential care facilities (RCFs) for the elderly. Regulation and licensure of these facilities are handled by the Department of Social Services, Community Care Licensing Division. To qualify for the RCF license, assisted living facilities must show that at least 75 percent of their residents are at least 60 years old and that anyone under 60 does not have needs that are incompatible with other residents. There are only three assisted living facilities within Alhambra, but there are 54 others in the surrounding areas, including San Gabriel, Rosemead and Pasadena.
Benefits and Drawbacks of Assisted Living in Alhambra
- The Alhambra area is known for its comfortable climate, so it's a great option for seniors who want to avoid extreme temperatures. With a July high of 88 degrees Fahrenheit and a January low of 46, the city only receives an average of 18 inches of rain each year and is rarely subjected to snowfall.
- Although the city doesn't have many transportation options, Alhambra Community Transit provides bus service to residents at a reasonable price. The buses run Monday through Friday and a one-way fare is just 25 cents.
The city also offers the Senior Ride Program, a free curb-to-curb service for Alhambra residents over the age of 60 or with a qualifying disability. The service will transport seniors anywhere in the city for any purpose.
- The Alhambra area is home to world-class medical facilities, including Alhambra Hospital Medical Center, San Gabriel Medical Center, Garfield Medical Center and Centinela Hospital Medical Center.
- Alhambra is a relatively expensive place to live with housing costs that more than triple the national average. Other financial factors, such as groceries, health and transportation, are more reasonable, bringing the city's overall cost of living to 65 percent above the U.S. average.
- Seniors who have an appreciation for art and enjoy a little fresh air can take advantage of the public art displays arranged by the Alhambra Arts and Cultural Events Committee. History buffs can spend some time at the Alhambra Historical Society Museum to learn more about the city's past.
- Alhambra senior residents can feel secure knowing the rates of violent and property crimes in the area are lower than both the California and national averages.
Paying for Assisted Living in Alhambra
Average Monthly Costs
Cities in California
Assisted Living costs in Alhambra start around $2,722 per month on average, while the nationwide average cost of assisted living is $4,000 per month, according to the latest figures from Genworth’s Cost of Care Survey.
It’s important to note that assisted living rates in Alhambra and the surrounding suburbs can vary widely based on factors such as location, the level of care needed, apartment size and the types of amenities offered at each community.
Financial Assistance for Assisted Living in Alhambra
Seniors who anticipate a need for aid with the cost of assisted living facilities can take advantage of the Assisted Living Waiver (ALW), a Home and Community-Based Services (HCBS) Waiver offered through Medi-Cal.
Learn more about these programs, plus who’s eligible, on our Assisted Living in California page.
More Ways to Pay for Assisted Living
While many families use their own funds or personal assets to pay for assisted living, there are plenty of additional options to cover these costs. Some additional ways to finance assisted living costs include:
- Veterans Benefits
- Life Insurance Policy
- Long-Term Care Insurance
- Reverse Mortgage
For more information about different ways to finance assisted living, visit our Assisted Living in California page.
Free Assisted Living Resources in Alhambra
Alhambra and the surrounding area are home to numerous government agencies and non-profit organizations offering help for seniors searching for or currently residing in an assisted living community. These organizations can also provide assistance in a number of other eldercare services such as geriatric care management, elder law advice, estate planning, finding home care and health and wellness programs.
Assisted Living Laws and Regulations in Alhambra
Alhambra-area assisted living communities must adhere to the comprehensive set of state laws and regulations that all assisted living communities in California are required to follow. Visit our Assisted Living in California page for more information about these laws.