Assisted Living in Surprise
Mountain View Care Home15795 W Shaw Butte Dr, Surprise, AZ
All Care Assisted Living Home18224 N 168th Avenue, Surprise, AZ
A Loving Heart Assisted Living11318 N. 145 Lane, Surprise, AZ
Angels Paradise Care Home18330 W Marconi Avenue, Surprise, AZ
Adelina Care17543 W. Columbine Dr., Surprise, AZ
Mariposa Point of Surprise16650 No. Stadium Way, Surprise, AZ
A Paradise For Parents15922 N 164th Lane, Surprise, AZ
About Seniors Assisted Living17343 West Bajada, Surprise, AZ
Best Care Assisted Living18431 W Port Royale Lane, Surprise, AZ
Golden Generation / Times13393 W. Rickrock Street, Surprise, AZ
At A Glance
There are 66 assisted living communities in the city and surrounding suburbs to choose from. The average cost of assisted living in Surprise is $2,521 per month, according to the latest estimates from Genworth.
We're there at every step
Caring.com has been supporting families since 2007. Our free family advisor service has helped numerous families in the Surprise area find the assisted living community that is right for them. Learn about how our team of family advisors can help you and your family at no cost by calling (855) 763-5743.
Get the insights you need to find the right community.
- See more than 75 reviews of assisted living communities in the Surprise area from residents and their loved ones.
- Browse our comprehensive directory of 66 assisted living communities in the Surprise area for photos and information about amenities, costs and more.
What to Consider About Assisted Living in Surprise
Surprise, Arizona is often called the “playground of the West Valley.” Some popular pastimes in Surprise are baseball and golf games, Wildlife Zoo, Aquarium and Safari Park. Seniors who want to live here but who are no longer independent have plenty of assisted living facilities from which to choose. There are 56 assisted living facilities in the Surprise area: 37 in Surprise and 19 spread throughout the communities of Peoria, El Mirage, Sun City, Sun City West and Youngtown. Staff in these facilities are trained to help seniors with daily living activities such as grooming, eating and personal hygiene. Residents of these communities participate in a friendly, homelike environment while benefiting from the services they provide.
Benefits and Drawbacks of Assisted Living in Surprise
- Since Arizona does not tax Social Security retirement benefits, seniors enjoy recent tax breaks in Surprise. Retirement income such as 401(k) and IRA distributions are taxed, and state sales taxes are also fairly high.
- The cost of living in Surprise is high compared to other Arizona cities. The cost of living index is 106, which is 8 percent higher than the state average and 6 percent above the national average.
- The crime rate in Surprise, AZ is 42 percent lower than the rest of Arizona, but the national average is 29 percent lower. Violent crime, however, is 78 percent lower than the state average and 73 percent lower than the rest of the country.
- The weather here is terrific if you are a sun-loving senior. July highs average 95 degrees Fahrenheit but there's respite in December when temperatures fall to 52 degrees Fahrenheit. Meanwhile, May showers yield 8.4 inches of needed rainfall.
- The air quality index in Surprise is 48% worse than the national average. The pollution index in Surprise is 19% better than the national average.
- Seniors who need transportation to doctor’s appointments, essential errands, emergencies and personal outings can contact North West Valley Connect directly for a ride. Subsidized rides are available to some disabled and low-income residents. The city sponsors free rides to some senior centers in the area as well.
Paying for Assisted Living in Surprise
Average Monthly Costs
Cities in Arizona
Assisted Living costs in Surprise start around $2,521 per month on average, while the nationwide average cost of assisted living is $4,000 per month, according to the latest figures from Genworth’s Cost of Care Survey.
It’s important to note that assisted living rates in Surprise and the surrounding suburbs can vary widely based on factors such as location, the level of care needed, apartment size and the types of amenities offered at each community.
Financial Assistance for Assisted Living in Surprise
The Arizona Long-Term Care System (ALTCS) features a sponsored program designed to provide care and services to seniors. Seniors living in assisted living homes in Surprise, AZ, are eligible to participate in this financial assistance program based on individual circumstances.
Learn more about these programs, plus who’s eligible, on our Assisted Living in Arizona page.
More Ways to Pay for Assisted Living
While many families use their own funds or personal assets to pay for assisted living, there are plenty of additional options to cover these costs. Some additional ways to finance assisted living costs include:
- Veterans Benefits
- Life Insurance Policy
- Long-Term Care Insurance
- Reverse Mortgage
For more information about different ways to finance assisted living, visit our Assisted Living in Arizona page.
Free Assisted Living Resources in Surprise
Surprise and the surrounding area are home to numerous government agencies and non-profit organizations offering help for seniors searching for or currently residing in an assisted living community. These organizations can also provide assistance in a number of other eldercare services such as geriatric care management, elder law advice, estate planning, finding home care and health and wellness programs.
Assisted Living Laws and Regulations in Surprise
Surprise-area assisted living communities must adhere to the comprehensive set of state laws and regulations that all assisted living communities in Arizona are required to follow. Visit our Assisted Living in Arizona page for more information about these laws.