Brookdale University Park Birmingham, AL

Reviews of Brookdale University Park

Assisted Living Reviews for Brookdale University Park

March 30, 2016

By Joell

Overall, Brookdale University Park is a lovely, inviting facility. When you walk into the lobby, they have a living room, a library on either side, and a double staircase going up to the dining area. The people who work there are very fine. I think the security system is a plus. The place is big, and I don’t know if they inspect it enough. The food going into the assisted living area is brought from the kitchen to another floor across the building, so it’s not always that hot and the smell coming from that second kitchen is not so great. The assisted living is not what you would expect it to be because they can’t provide all the assistance; you have to be pretty much self-sufficient and just require minimum care. She was in independent living for a while and it was great. She had a great room with a full kitchen, and the dining room that the independent people go to is lovely with a high ceiling and lots of lighting, linens on the table, and carpets on the floor. If I get any services, like someone taking her in a limo to her doctor’s appointment or to the beauty salon, or if I get her rug shampooed, all of that is billed through one bill. They have a clinic where you could make an appointment to see a gerontologist, who comes every Monday, without having to leave the facility, so I thought that was a nice thing.

March 15, 2016

By David118318650

The apartments were immaculate and large at Brookdale. The staff was very friendly and warm. We didn’t see many activities happening. It was a little higher end and pricey due to it being a gated and guarded community, so it had added security.

February 22, 2016

By Lovely Visitor

Brookdale University Park is a beautiful, luxurious facility. It’s clean but way out of my price range. Everybody was very nice. They have a restaurant in the building with a chef, and your rent includes three meals a day. It’s just really top notch.

October 28, 2015

By Anonymous Lady2

Brookdale University Park was a very nice facility, and the person that interviewed us was great. She was very nice.

October 28, 2015

By Linda R.

We had an excellent visit at Brookdale University. Their representative met with me and gave me a little tour of the facility. The people that I interacted with were really gracious and listened when I was questions. I was extremely impressed with the place. It's very upbeat but very quiet, as well. They have a lot of activities going on, and if I was going to move my aunt, I would choose this place. The room they showed me was very nice and quiet. It smelled good. It had a little kitchenette, and it was very pleasant. I did walk through the dining area, and it was very attractive and very nice as well.

April 20, 2015

I have settled at Brookdale University Park, and I am very happy here. This is a lovely place, and I would recommend it highly. The staff is fabulous, and they know us by name. They are also very efficient. The marketing people are also very good. My room is lovely, and I am very happy with it. The dining room is lovely, and the food is good. They have lots of activities. They have exercise, Tai-chi, crossword puzzles, and spelling bees. They have entertainment in the evening. They try to keep you busy.

December 02, 2014

It was very nice, but he chose one closer to his home. Everything was wonderful. The staff that I saw seemed very nice. The activity calendar looked good. They had different musicians come in to perform, different games, different gatherings for men and women, and outings. I did not get to eat there, but the plate looked like it was a well-rounded meal. I did notice that sometimes it took for them a while to get to the residents to see what they needed.

November 30, 2014

By Heather14

We saw Brookdale Place. It was absolutely gorgeous. That was, by far, my mother’s favorite choice of all the ones in our city. It was extremely clean, and the interior was very immaculate, very nice furnishings. The people were super nice. The dining room was very, very nice. If she went into a senior home, that is where she would love to go. The people that we toured with were caring, and they knew their stuff. It was a really good experience. I would highly recommend it.

November 29, 2014

By Linda102310350

I wanted to live at Brookdale Place University Park, but it's expensive. My friends who have moved in the community are very happy with the place. They have activities, and they go on trips. They also take the residents to different programs in the University.

June 27, 2013

By Emma7

The rooms and the people in Brookdale Senior Living were nice.

June 18, 2013

By Lynn14

The Clare Bridge unit of Brookdale Place is like a house but it's very nice and all the residents seemed very happy. The atmosphere was very nice and home like and the facilities were very clean. The staff were very good, not as hurried and they interact a lot with the residents.

April 30, 2013

I visited Brookdale Place several times. It was excellent. The staff members were impressive. Their credentials were excellent. Most of them had Master's Degrees in their specific field. Their dementia unit had a nurse that had a PhD. The facility's location was also convenient to get to. It was in the nicer sections of Birmingham. The apartments were very nice, with very reasonable rates. You could have a 3 bedroom apartment, which looked brand new even if it had been there for a while. The grounds were well-kept. The lobby and the entrance into the facility were very nice. They had a good number of computers. They had a lot more activities compared to the other facility where we may move my mom into. Brookdale had a better set up for the residents when they're coming and going. They had a separate area at the desk at all times. They had sitters on site. The food was wonderful. The dining room was very elegant. It also had linen table cloths, chandeliers and crystals. The facility also offered services like getting a resident's lunch to his or her room if he or she doesn't feel like coming to eat in the dining room. I would recommend this facility to anyone. In fact, I have already recommended it to other people.

December 28, 2012

By CarolU

We found a great facility in Birmingham; it's Brookdale Place. My father is doing real well. He's in the Clare Bridge Unit and he's doing really great. I helped him set up his room and got him situated. He's done much better and he's in better shape. My father didn't adjust very well during the first week, but I guess you would expect that. He was scared and he was mad. But he has settled down and after about 10 days he started doing really well and they started working with him. The staff was very kind, friendly, and helpful. The place is clean, and my mother feels comfortable going there to see him. However, the only thing that I found while I was up there was the first weekend we put him in, they seem to be short staffed and not exactly organized but that straightened up and there was a shortage of women. So I was a little worried. I've voiced my concerns, and since then I think things have been all right. The staff puts him in a wheelchair and wheels him outside every day which he loves. The view out of the window is beautiful, you can see the birds feeding, and trees, grass and flowers. He was enthralled with the place. He just love it! I couldn't imagine finding any better place to put your father. He gets lonely sometimes, and he was used to having my mother with him all the time. Other than that, I think he's just done amazingly well.

December 07, 2011

By bajatoa

My experience in this nursing facility was great. They treated every person with care. Everybody that lives there looked happy to be there. The place was very clean and organized and the employees were very cooperative with me visiting the nursing facility. On my first visit, I was impressed with the warm, comfortable furnishing of the nursing home. My first visit was kind of difficult because I am not used to seeing that many old people in one place. But once again they all looked happy to be there so it was easy to get over it. There was always an employee helping someone that needs help. They most impressing thing was how almost every day the residents will meet up in the lobby and talk about life. That seemed to me like the place was giving them life again. The first aide my grandfather had was wonderful, intelligent and sensitive. But after we found out that he couldn't go home they found him a personal one.

Independent Living Reviews for Brookdale University Park

Memory Care Reviews for Brookdale University Park

Questions about Brookdale University Park

What ongoing training does the staff receive in dementia care?

We use the State of Alabama DETA course work and Brookdale has its own Learning Management Systems that provides on going electronic education and resources.

Describe the overall population of assisted living residents at Brookdale University Park. What is their average age? What are their favorite things to do?

The average age of our Resident is in the early 80’s. Their favorite things to do is to go out to local restaurants, cultural activities and community functions. They also enjoy their activities in the community. Most of our Residents are matriarchs of their families and they have history in Birmingham. Most of our Residents were wives and daughters of influential families of Birmingham

What programs or activities does Brookdale University Park offer to enrich residents' well-being?

We have daily activities ranging from exercise, crafts, book club and the ever favorite Bingo.

What places are near Brookdale University Park or within walking distance for assisted living residents to enjoy?

Samford University is across the street and we often have visits to their campus.

What transportation services does Brookdale University Park offer to assisted living residents?

We offer transportation to physician appointments. We have transportation to local church and synagogues. We have multiple trips a month to shopping and restaurants.

What makes the chef or dining program at Brookdale University Park exceptional? What kind of menu can assisted living residents expect?

What safety features or security measures does Brookdale University Park offer to assisted living residents?

We are a gated community and we have secured doors that a visitor will need a electronic fob to gain access to the community. We also have emergency systems in each unit and pendants for the Residents. We also have a concierge desk that is manned 24 hours a day, seven days a week.

How does Brookdale University Park keep residents' families informed about their loved ones?

If chosen the family shares their email with us. We also communicate via cell phone and in person arranged meetings. Most of our communication is done face to face with the families.

If Brookdale University Park accepts dogs or cats, what indoor/outdoor areas can they enjoy?

We do accept cats and dogs as long as the Resident can care for the animal. Once they cannot provide care for the animal we can provide a fee based service to manage the animal. We have court yards for them to enjoy the outdoors..

What ongoing senior care training does the staff receive?

The staff training includes Dementia Care training, Understanding Seniors, Personal Care and Customer Service. Monthly In-services

Describe the overall population of independent living residents at Brookdale University Park. What is their average age? What are their favorite things to do?

Our population is made up of retired CEO’s, Judges, Attorneys and Business leaders of Birmingham. Their average is 80 with a few Residents in the high 90’s. Their favorite thing to do is socialize and be with their lifelong friends who also live here. They enjoy our Activities and the local outings we provide on a weekly basis.

What places are nearby for independent living residents to enjoy?

The shopping districts of Homewood and Mountain Brook are nearby. The University of Alabama – Birmingham and Samford University are nearby for our Residents use and enjoyment. Local restaurants and a mall are a mile away from our campus.

What are some recent off-site events that the community activity director at Brookdale University Park has organized?

We have gone to a music festival, the art museum, local brewery and other cultural events. We take part in local community charities like the Alzheimer’s and the Junior League. We attempt to go where ever our Residents wants us to go.

What transportation services does Brookdale University Park offer to independent living residents?

What makes the chef or dining program at Brookdale University Park exceptional? What kind of menu can independent living residents expect?

The Residents can choose from three entrées with meat, fish or poultry. We have multiple sides of vegetables and salads. We have sugar free and regular desserts. We have a restaurant type atmosphere for our dining experience. Our chef conducts a monthly “Menu Chat” where he receives feedback on our menus and service.

What common areas are available for independent living residents?

We have two common areas on each floor of our community. We have a community room that can seat 100 people they can use. We have a 2nd floor atrium area where they can gather and chat. We have various nooks throughout the community they can sit and engage with each other.

What safety features or security measures does Brookdale University Park offer to independent living residents?

We are on a gated community and we have secured doors that a visitor will need a electronic fob to gain access to the community. We also have emergency systems in each unit and pendants for the Residents. We also have a concierge desk that is manned 24 hours a day, seven days a week.

Does Brookdale University Park work with an agency or registry to provide nursing and medical assistance as needed?

No. We use our Assisted Living nurses to triage any Independent Living Resident if need be after hours and we have Resident Care Coordinator during day time hours to serve the Residents.

How many staffers are on duty in the daytime and overnight?

We staff 3 personnel on days and we have a nurse around the clock and we have 2 Resident programming personnel on days and afternoons. Overnight we have 2 personnel and a nurse for our Residents.

What safety features or security measures does Brookdale University Park provide to protect residents who wander?

We do not accept exit seeking Residents in our AL. We will accept wandering Residents in our Memory Care which is a secured neighborhood and located on the 1st floor of our community.

What programs or activities does Brookdale University Park offer to keep residents engaged? How does the staff engage residents' long-term memories?

The Programs or activities that Brookdale offer to keep residents engaged are: Recreational, Life skills, Sensory and B-Fit Exercise. We also celebrate Birthday’s once a month along with musical and social activities. The staff engages residents’ long-term memories by offering home like environment and activities that improve resident’s quality of life.

The Nurse (HWC) assesses the Resident’s health and cognitive functioning monthly. The charge nurse monitors for any changes in resident’s mental status or condition daily and immediately reports their findings to the resident’s attending physician and family.

What techniques does Brookdale University Park use to support memory care residents during mealtimes?

We aim to enhance meal enjoyment, provide a positive social experience, and provide nutritional stability. We attempt to preserve the remaining dining skills and ability to use utensils while honoring tastes, preferences, past dining habits and choices. We use several techniques to support residents during mealtimes such as the following: a. Gesture prompt- We point to the object or touch the resident’s hand where we would like for them to take action. b. Starter prompt- Is when we task with the resident to help them understand c. Demonstration prompt- We show the resident what action that we would like for them to take. d. Hand over Hand prompt- We do this by placing our hand over the hand of the resident to guide them on action from beginning to end , and the let go to see if the resident can continue without the prompt. e. Hand under hand prompt- We hook our thumb under the resident’s thumb to help guide them through the physical action of the task.

How does Brookdale University Park keep residents' families informed about their loved ones' health?

1. The HWC schedules care conference meetings with the families every 90 days, with each change of condition, care plan review, medication changes, or any other change that may occur with the resident/family. 2. The HWC may hold a care conference meeting via phone or in person. 3. The family can request to have a care conference meeting at any time as well.

Describe the neighborhood around Brookdale University Park. Is it located in a residential neighborhood, a business district, a rural setting, or other type of locale?

The Community is nestled in a Residential area called Mountain Brook. It is built into the side of a mountain and is surrounded by woods and green spaces.

Is Brookdale University Park affiliated with a hospital if more care is needed?

We use several hospitals including Brookwood, Grandview and UAB Downtown

Photos of Brookdale University Park

Services and Amenities of Brookdale University Park

• Nurse On Staff: Onsite 24/7

• State Licenses: D3768

About Brookdale University Park

Brookdale University Park provides a full range of choices for today's seniors. Choosing a senior living community represents a lifestyle choice and we understand that our residents are choosing much more than a comfortable living environment to call home. Brookdale Living's Birmingham, AL community delivers Inspired Independent Living, with the promise of Exceptional Experiences Everyday. In choosing this community, our residents have made a conscious lifestyle decision designed to deliver enhanced opportunities for pursuing health and life fulfillment through the exceptional independent and assisted living services, amenities, and opportunities we offer. And, the residents at Brookdale Place University Park can rest assured that as their needs change, we provide a variety of ancillary services and a Personalized Assisted Living environment that encourages residents to continue to live as they please while respecting individual preferences.

Optimum Life® and Celebrations provide an all-encompassing way of life that touches the lives of the residents of this independent and assisted living community, their families, and associates alike. Optimum Life® is a journey of self-discovery including services, features, and benefits that allow each resident to pursue their peak level of health, wholeness and fulfillment while balancing six key dimensions of personal wellness: emotional, intellectual, physical, social, spiritual and purposeful. As part of Optimum Life®, the mission of Brookdale Place University Park is to encourage our independent and assisted living residents to celebrate life each day. Inspired dining and vibrant lifestyle activities come together in our Celebrations program filling the monthly calendar at Brookdale Living's Birmingham, AL community with themed experiences, special events, and group activities that highlight different cultures and cuisines in a common venue of camaraderie.

Map of Brookdale University Park