Financial Assistance for Seniors
Most seniors rely on a wide range of Social Security benefits to provide at least some regular income. Those who have few assets and very low income might also qualify for the Supplemental Security Income (SSI) program. And if either partner of a married couple was in the military, they both may be eligible for veterans benefits. Try the BenefitsCheckup calculator to find out what benefits you're eligible for.
Find out Who Qualifies for SSI
Veterans benefits can ease a senior or disabled person's finances. To help a veteran apply, consider these qualifications for veterans benefits.
V.A. grants help some veterans buy a specially adapted vehicle or adapt their own. Learn who qualifies and how to apply for an adapted vehicle grant.
More About Financial Assistance for Seniors
- V.A. Burial Benefits
- V.A. Dependency and Indemnity Compensation (DIC)
- V.A. Service-Connected Disability Compensation
- V.A. Home Modification Grants
- V.A. Medical Benefits
- V.A. Pension
- Priority V.A. Medical Benefits for Veterans With a Service-Connected Disability
- CHAMPVA Medical Benefits
- Using VA Benefits to Pay for Nursing Homes and Other Long-Term Care
- V.A. Benefits Finder: For Older Veterans and Their Families
- National Council on Aging: Interview With Paul DelPonte
- How to Get Paid for Being a Family Caregiver
- Social Security Benefits
- Who Qualifies for VA Medical Benefits?
- V.A. Death Pension
- V.A. Aid and Attendance and Housebound Benefits
- Is there help for someone under age 65, who has serious illness and little money?
- Are there government benefits for someone who's had a stroke and gets only a small company pension?
- What kind of living arrangements are available for those under 65, but disabled, without a lot of money?
- Does my mother have rights to her husband's Social Security?
- Where can I find financial assistance? I'm out of work and the sole caregiver for my wife who has Alzheimer's.
- How can Mom's supplemental security income (SSI) be increased?
- Does VA pay for spouse nursing home charges?
- How should my mother decide when to file for Social Security?
- Financial help when a parent leaves a nursing home to live with family?
- How old do I have to be to get Medicare if already receiving Social Security Disability?
- Am I eligible for disability?
- How can I make sure that I am on my parents' "survivor" list with the federal government to make sure I recieve benefits after they pass on?
- Why hasn't the age for signing up for Medicare changed to coincide with the eligibility date for drawing social security?
- Is there a program to help pay the cost of assisted living?
- How can I find financial aid to care for my mother in her home?
- Are there programs that can help with the cost of in-home care?