Founded in 1996, ComForCare is a home care franchise based in Bloomfield Hills, Michigan, that began franchising in 2001. The company was purchased by a private-equity firm in 2017 and is currently owned by Best Life Brands, a long-term care franchise expert with nearly 500 locations in the U.S. and Canada. ComForCare has more than 200 independently owned branches in 34 states from coast to coast. The company offers in-home personal assistance and private-duty nursing with an emphasis on dementia and Alzheimer’s care.
The company’s services include nonmedical personal support, such as help with cooking, cleaning, bathing, and daily household tasks. Staff members also offer companionship, transportation, and medication reminders. The brand’s private-duty nursing services are suitable for individuals who are recovering from a hospitalization or surgery and those who have more advanced needs to due an injury, illness, or chronic medical condition. Although services vary by location, clients appreciate the company’s professional staff and convenient scheduling system, and employees say that they enjoy being part of a fantastic team of compassionate caregivers.
What You Need to Know About ComForCare
- Michigan-based ComForCare has more than 24 years of industry experience.
- The company is part of Best Life Brands, a long-term care franchising specialist.
- Caregivers offer private-duty nursing services and non-medical personal care.
- Specialized DementiaWise programs are available to individuals with Alzheimer’s disease or memory loss.
- Independently owned franchises serve customers in 34 states from coast to coast.
- Customers appreciate the company’s compassionate, professional staff, transparent communication, and convenient scheduling.
What Senior Care Services Does ComForCare Provide?
ComForCare offers a complete range of non-medical services for individuals who need help with the activities of daily living. The company offers convenient scheduling and customized service plans, and clients are matched with caregivers based on their personality, background, and interests for added compatibility. Personal care services are available 24/7 and include:
- Companionship: Trained caregivers provide meaningful activities ranging from games to conversation, hobbies, and recreational outings.
- Supervision: One-on-one supervision helps seniors and vulnerable adults stay safe in their own homes. Caregivers also perform fall assessments and home safety checks.
- Respite Care: Weekly visits and short-term service plans provide a well-deserved break for family caregivers, so they can rest and take care of personal responsibilities.
- Housekeeping: Personal care also includes housekeeping and light cleaning, such as vacuuming, dusting, washing the dishes, and doing laundry.
- Transportation: Caregivers provide local transportation for day-to-day errands, social events and medical appointments or procedures.
- Medication Reminders: ComForCare offers medication reminders to ensure that clients receive the right prescription at the right time.
- Nutrition: Adults who need assistance with the activities of daily living may also benefit from help with cooking, shopping, and diet-compliant meal planning.
ComForCare emphasizes the importance of patient-centered care to ensure that clients receive services that meet their needs and help them live active, independent, and fulfilling lives at home. Regardless of the franchise location or the services the client needs, the company upholds the same quality standards.
- Caregivers are bonded and insured.
- ComForCare follows a rigorous screening and training process.
- Caregivers and clients are matched based on their personalities.
- Routine assessments are included in each care plan.
- The company has ongoing quality assurance programs.
- New clients benefit from a streamlined intake process.
Dementia and Alzheimer’s Care
Memory care services offered by ComForCare are designed to help individuals with dementia or Alzheimer’s stay in their own homes while maintaining a high quality of life. Participating franchise locations employ caregivers who are trained in the brand’s proprietary DementiaWise care system, an evidence-based program that has been recognized by the Alzheimer’s Association for its best practices. It focuses on person-centered care, needs assessments, daily activities, and strategies for managing challenging behaviors. These services are ideal for seniors who have been diagnosed with Alzheimer’s disease, Lewy body dementia, and related conditions that can affect their cognitive ability, physical needs, emotions, and behavior. Here are a few features that make DementiaWise unique:
- Flexible scheduling accommodates family members and other caregivers.
- Personalized service plans focus on the person, not the disease.
- Balanced activities provide an appropriate level of stimulation.
Specially-trained caregivers provide one-on-one assistance to help dementia patients with the activities of daily living, and they provide education, insight, and emotional support to help families better understand the condition and their loved one’s needs. They also offer activities that promote positive engagement and stimulate cognitive function. This multidisciplinary approach is designed to foster meaningful connections between clients and their caregivers.
Private-duty nursing services are suitable for anyone who requires a higher level of care due to physical limitations, an injury, an illness, or a chronic medical condition. Licensed nurses can provide one-on-one services and help clients manage their medical equipment, including oxygen concentrators, ventilators, and feeding tubes. The initial visit starts with a comprehensive RN-guided health assessment. Staff members perform a personal needs evaluation and review all medications to develop a personalized care plan that may include the following services.
- Nurses assist with wound care, including skin assessments, dressing changes, irrigation, and negative pressure therapy.
- Private-duty nurses may offer assistance with IV infusions, hydration therapy, antibiotics, and intravenous or subcutaneous immunoglobulins.
- Home ventilator management services can help patients optimize ventilator settings and handle pressure alarms or equipment maintenance.
- ComForCare offers feeding tube management for gastrostomy (G-tube), jejunostomy (J-tube), and nasogastric (NG) systems.
- Tracheostomy management services reduce the risk of infection by helping clients with cleaning and suctioning.
ComForCare offers short-term service plans and long-term options for clients who are transitioning from a skilled rehabilitation facility or individuals who want to live at home for years to come. The company provides a variety of related supports to help clients who are recovering from acute conditions or need help managing chronic diseases.
- Disability management
- Round-the-clock care
- Case management
- Eldercare coordination
- Transitional services
- Short-term assistance
- Respite care
What People Are Saying About ComForCare
Both clients and caregivers find that ComForCare stands out for its professionalism, flexibility, and transparency. Families consistently say that the company truly cares and only hires caregivers “who truly love what they and go above and beyond.”
One-on-one connections are an important part of this business, and loved ones believe that ComForCare does a great job matching clients with the right caregiver. “We utilized their services for care of both my parents, and I was consistently impressed with how they accommodated the specifics of each situation and the person for whom they provided care.” The company’s DemeniaWise Alzheimer’s program also receives excellent feedback. “Caregivers encourage art projects, music, and card games to slow the progression of my mother’s cognitive impairment. The caregivers provide outings and will take Mother to visit family and friends.”
When it comes to ease of scheduling, ComForCare is hard to beat. Past clients say that the people are great and “easy to work with any schedule.” Since ComForCare is a franchise, services may vary depending on the location. Although the brand has an excellent reputation, some clients have noticed a shift in service quality following ownership changes.
How Much Does ComForCare Charge for Home Care?
Home care costs vary based on several factors, including the type of services required, how often one needs assistance, and the timing of the services (i.e., overnight vs. daytime care). Where you live also has a significant impact on the cost of home care, as national chains scale their local prices to the cost of living in a given area.
When planning for home care costs, keep in mind that the national average cost is about $24 per hour, though prices in your location may be higher or lower. You can contact a Family Advisor at (800) 973-1540 to learn more about home care costs and payment options in your area.
Who Should Consider ComForCare?
ComForCare is a respected franchise with an impressive service area that extends from coast to coast. The company offers personal assistance, transportation, meal preparation, housekeeping and medication reminders, but it really stands out for its advanced capabilities, including dementia care and skilled nursing.
- Proprietary DementiaWise best practices make ComForCare a great choice for individuals who have Alzheimer’s or age-related memory loss.
- The brand’s private-duty nursing services are suitable for clients who need help managing chronic medical conditions or maintaining their durable medical equipment.
- ComForCare is known for its flexible scheduling and clear communication, which is ideal for anyone whose needs and schedule change frequently.
- Administrators can accommodate families who require short-term services or interim respite care.
How to Get Started with ComForCare
Contact a Family Advisor at (800) 973-1540 for more information about ComForCare offerings in your area and to connect with a local home care provider. Our knowledgeable Family Advisors can provide one-on-one guidance to help you find the best home care service for your needs and budget, all at no cost to you. No matter where you are in the process of choosing a home care provider, a Family Advisor can help.