Will the VA cover the installation and a ramp for a veteran's home?

3 answers | Last updated: Aug 07, 2017
A fellow caregiver asked...

Will VA cover the installation and a ramp for the home where an elderly veteran live?

Expert Answers

Barbara Steinberg is the CEO and founder of BLS Eldercare Financial Solutions, which specializes in helping families pay for long-term care for their loved ones. A registered financial gerontologist, she speaks regularly on the topic of paying for long-term care and is a financial expert for Caring.com.

There is a VA benefit called the Specialty Adapted Housing Grant. However, this benefit is only available to veterans who have a permanent and total service connected disability. This means the veteran's disability is due to an illness or injury that occurred during his or her active duty. The VA determines eligibility using their disability rating system. If the veteran is eligible, the grant can be used towards the purchase price of an adapted home or the construction costs to adapt an existing home for the veteran's safety. Ramps are included. The grant is 50% of the purchase or construction cost up to a maximum of $63,780. To find out if a veteran qualifies for this program, contact your local agent who can be found at www.benefits.va.gov/homeloans/sahagent.asp.

Community Answers

Cody usmc answered...

Barbara Steinbeck you are wrong Va will give a one time amount for Adapted Housing Grant one time payment of 1200 dollars to Veterans of non service connected disability. And you people need to call your Va reps for correct answers to your questions.To get the right answers.

Jbranch answered...

Actually, both answers contain correct information. The VA has several programs that cover home accessibility. One is the Specially Adapted Housing Grant which Barbara referenced. This is a grant administered by the VBA. The grant that Cody is referring to is the Home Improvement and Structural Alterations grant (HISA) which is administered by the VHA side of things. Ramps are also available to qualified veterans through the Prosthetic department as medical equipment, but these types of ramps are typically the prefabricated modular style of ramps. I agree with both contributors here, that talking to a benefits administrator at your local VA is the best way to get the answers to your benefit and equipment questions.