Why do I get dizzy after jogging?

I get dizzy to the point I have to close my eyes, and wait until everything balance out, ( which is normally less then a minute). whenever I finish jogging for about 45 minutes.

In your question, you do not say if you have just started exercising, or if you have been exercising for a while and you just developed this new symptom. Therefore, I will try to break it down to make answering your question easier.

If you are a new exerciser, my advice to you would be to slow down. When you begin a new exercise program and you haven't been exercising before, I would always advise that you ask your health care provider first if it is okay for you to exercise. They can give you advice on which type of exercise you should start doing, and how long you should do it. Many people who are new to exercise start out very strong- unfortunately they overdo it, and then end up getting hurt. It is much healthier to build up slowly from a base, as this lessens you chances for injury. For instance, you could start out by walking in one direction for 10 to 15 minutes, and then returning home. Walk at a pace that feels comfortable, and see how you do with that. If you tolerate that well, then you can build up your speed or lengthen your exercise time.

Many people can get dizzy during exercise by not drinking enough, getting a low blood sugar (in diabetics), or exercising when it is too hot (heatstroke). Therefore, you should always snack on some protein and carbs before a workout, like crackers with cheese. Drink plenty of fluids. If it is really hot outdoors, you exercise when it gets cooler (morning and evening), or exercise indoors. Always wear good, comfortable shoes and clothing when you exercise.

Now, if you have been jogging for a while and you just developed this new dizziness, you need to get checked out by your health care provider right away. You may have an electrolyte imbalance (low blood sugar), a blood pressure problem, or issue with your heart. Good luck!

How about in the shower when you close your eyes ? I am getting dizzy.

Emily m. answered...

Hi anonymous, if you'd like to post a new question, you can do so in our Ask & Answer section, here: https://www.caring.com/ask.

Take care, Emily | Community Manager