Where can I find an appliance for toilet support?

I'm having trouble finding a support appliance for the toilet. I can't find a way to remove the toilet top so as to use the bolt holes for installation of the support that I bought. (Needless to say, I'll be returning this particular one!). Any ideas?

I'm not exactly sure what you mean, and am trying to picture the kind of appliance you need. But, I suggest you go to a medical supply store and see if they can help you find a support that works with your toilet. You may need to bring a picture of your toilet, or any paperwork that might help.

Another idea is to contact the manufacturer of the support you purchased by telephone or email to see if they're willing to make an exchange -- and to help you identify what you need.  (I've had luck with this when dealing with the wrong or malfunctioning parts.) Search for the manufacturer's corporate office with an internet search using the exact name. Then look for "customer service" or "customer relations" links. You can usually call (most big companies have toll-free numbers) or email. You can also try to get a toll free number for the company using toll-free directory assistance, 1-800-555-1212. Many times companies are willing to repair or replace items if you contact them and describe your situation. It helps if you have the receipt. (Sometimes this is required.)

Finally, you can always try your local hardware store to see if they have ideas for attaching the support you have. Again, you may need to bring in a picture or diagram. Even large chain hardware stores seem to try to provide good customer service. Good luck.

Dbfun1 answered...

I'M AN OCCUPATIONAL THERPIST IN HOME HEALTH, WHO RUNS INTO FAMILIES THAT HAVE PURCHASED EQUIPMENT THAT DOES NOT MEET THE NEEDS OF THE PATIENT. LOTS OF FAMILIES WANT TO RUSH OUT AND BUY WHAT THEY THINK WILL HELP WITHOUT DOING MEASUREMENTS OF THE BATHROOM WITH A SIMPLE SKETCH..THIS WILL HELP THE MEDICAL SUPPLIES FOLKS AND PROVIDE YOU WITH THE MOST APPROPRIATE EQUIPMENT. BEWARE OF THE COMPANIES WHO TRY TO PUSH FOR MORE OF A LUXURY ALL BELLS AND WHISTLES TYPE UNIT, YOU'RE BETTER OFF WITH THE SIMPLEST BED SIDE COMMODE INSTEAD OF RAILS THAT ATTACH TO THE HOLES WHERE THE TOILET SEAT IS ATTACHED.MOST OF THE BED SIDE COMMODES FIT OVER THE TOILET WITH ONLY A FEW ADJUSTMENTS NEEDED FOR HEIGHT-MOST CHAIRS HAVE TELESCOPING LEGS THAT CAN BE ADJUSTED TO PATIENT HEIGHT. YOU'LL WANT THE HIPS TO BE AT 90 DEGREES, AND THE PATIENTS FEET TO BE FLAT ON THE FLOOR...BEST WISHES --OH AND IF THE RAILS HAVE NOT BEEN USED-YOU'LL PROBABLY BE ABLE TO RETURN THE RAILS.. AS WELL, YOU CAN GET THE TUB TRANSFER BENCHES AT THE HOME DEPOT TYPE STORES, YOULL HAVE TO ASSEMBLE YOURE PURCHASE OR MAY BE ABLE TO GET ONE OF THE HANDY NEIGHBORS TO HELP YOU. JUST BE SURE THAT IF YOU CHOOSE TO PURCHASE A BENCH OR CHAIR FROM A GARAGE SALE, BE SURE IT HAS ALL THE NUTS AND BOLTS/ATTACHMENTS TIGHT AND NOT MISSING RUBBER CUPS FOR THE FEET.MY EXPERIENCE IS THAT BED SIDE COMMODES TEND TO RUST IN THE TUB, AS THERE IS LITTLE DRAINAGE FROM THE LEGS. IF YOUR LOVED ONE IS STILL IN THE HOSPITAL, WAIT TIL YOU GET THEM HOME BEFORE ORDERING ANY THING, GET AN OCCUPATIONAL THERAPIST TO HELP YOU DURING A HOME HEALTH VISIT FOR AN EVALUATION AND TO HELP YOU WITH THE CARE OF THE PATIENT...IF YOU GO THE THE REHAB DEPT OF ANY HOSPITAL, AN OT CAN SHOW YOU SOME OF THE STANDARD TYPES..GOOD LUCK!

Wisernow answered...

Beware garage sale or estate sale items. A friend purchased a shower chair for an excellent price, but all the accumulated grot could not be removed, so it was a loss. Also, make sure second-hand or borrowed items are thoroughly disinfected. There are a lot of MRSA and UTI infections out there now.