(800) 973-1540

Can a will be kept at the courthouse it's filed in?

2 answers | Last updated: May 24, 2015

Can a will be kept at the courthouse registry where it was filed, until the person who wrote the will passes away?

Where you can keep your will depends on your state's law, and perhaps your county as well. Most states do not authorize keeping a will in a county court house See also:
My mother is gambling away every last penny -- and her financial independence. What should I do?
before the will writer passes away. A few states or counties do. Your state/county might, because you say that the will was filed in the (county) courthouse registry. If you want to explore storing the will there, simply call them and ask if it's allowed.

However, I wonder why one would want to store the original of your will in the courthouse registry. The will writer wants his or her executor to have prompt access to the wilt upon death of the will writer. This may be more difficult to do if the will is stored in the courthouse registry. Generally, I think it's wise to store one's will at home, in a place where the executor can easily get it.

thank-you, that would be the wise thing, the problem is theift and fire,2 estates one a x- husbent's,the whole place went up in flames,and the will. For the two that wrote their will had died,left the x-husbent,the place burnt to the ground,not long after he died. terrible. but the will was'nt in a court house or attorney's office, it like would be up to the oldest if so of that famly not fair hu?per-say this unlikely event happen to the holder of any ones will. what a mess!