What can I take for persistent uncontrolled coughing while taking chemo that won't make me sleepy?

While taking chemo, I have uncontroled coughing 24-7. What is causing it and how can I stop it with out taking meds that make me sleepy?

Bruce A. Feinberg, MD, chief of the Georgia Cancer Specialists, is an oncologist and the author of Breast Cancer Answers and Colon Cancer Answers and a popular speaker on cancer-related topics.

There can be many different approaches to treating coughing depending on what's causing it. Coughing is a common problem among cancer patients and it may be related to the disease, the treatment, or both. The first thing to ask yourself is whether this is new onset coughing that started after you started treatment for cancer or whether it was present before you were diagnosed and began treatment. If it is new onset, it could represent a reaction to treatment or could indicate a progression of the disease, so it's important to talk to your doctor and describe your symptoms clearly. Explain in detail when the coughing began, how often it occurs, and what seems to help it or make it worse.

There are cough syrups that don't make you sleepy, but any medication can interact with chemotherapy drugs and other medications taken during cancer treatment, so you don't want to use an over-the-counter medication without talking to your doctor first.

Ask your doctor to give you a therapeutic Brach to remove your Muccus that perhaps accumulated along your trache or so. Best wishes,

Hempangel answered...

Take cannabis oil with the dreaded chemotherapy.You can eat and sleep with the cannabis oil.Myself i wouldn't even do the chemotherapy.I want to live and not be a vegetable for 6 months after chemo treatment and also have a good chance of having a heart attack from the use of chemo.All my friends who have been burned by chemo don't live very long after using the stuff anyway.Another thing these doctors don't work with the patients very good with cancer pain and or the treatments pain.Why in the world do we keep letting these people kill us?What are we a bunch of mice?The only thing keeping the public from using cannabis oil is the pot heads even though they are better than a bunch of drunks telling us what we can use.

Gods peace answered...

I started coughing after my second treatment. I just completed my 6th one and I am coughing even more. My oncologist says its from the chemo. I have have both types of chemo in the past and the coughing never happened before. He won't prescribe anything for me but after my PET scan next week. He is sending me to a lung specialist. This is my 5th relapse. I have been fighting over 13 years. Maybe my body has had enough. I just wanna stop this hacking cough.

Hempangel..Your attitude towards people that undergo chemo treatment is nauseatingly simplistic. My husband is a cancer survivor after 4 rounds of chemo and a heart condition to boot. Chemo isn't fun, but does not render all people a vegetable and kill them shortly thereafter! 2 months after his last round he was full of energy. The chemo gave him his life as did various supplements (cannibus oil included)..but then he has an amazingly positive attitude as well. Maybe your friends that were vegetables and didn't live very long after chemo had the same negative attitude you have. Cancer patient's families definitely don't need to be reading your opinions abut something you've never been through and know nothing about.

Arlene o answered...

I was diagnosed with Non Hodgkins at age 43. I relapsed five times in ten years. I did chemo each time. I was in remission for the past 11 years, 11 YEARS... and, just now relapsed. I am again doing chemo. WHY on earth would anyone ANYONE not do chemo? FIGHT TO LIVE... IF YOU BURY YOUR HAND IN THE SAND YOU WILL GET IT LOPPED OFF, AND THEN YOU LOSE IT ALL. I now, have a six year old granson, I got a picture of him trick and treating, he calls me Nana... SOMETIMES, you got to use the cards you were dealt! PLAY THE HAND, FIGHT...FIGHT FIGHT~ FIGHT TO LIVE... If you don't, you will roll over and die. WHY? WHY? would anyone just do that.... FIGHT IT TO LIVE. I appreciate each and every day, and, this time? I was told... it is " curative" just imagine, " curative." WHAT IF I THREW IN THE TOWEL YEARS AGO? I had a sister YEARS ago, tell me, " she wouldn't do chemo again." IMAGINE, IF i had listened to her. WOW a loss.... for me, for my kids, for my grandson, not to know his nana... No one promised anyone a rose garden, and sometimes, we got to do some weeding in it... FIGHT don't DIE willingly.

Arlene o answered...

And, I had a typo... " DON'T BURY YOUR HEAD IN THE SAND..." for, you will get it lopped off. Cancer takes lives. Fight it! Fight for your life... for all your tomorrows. Do not be afraid of tomorrow, be grateful to have one.

Arlene o answered...

''How many Bridges do I have Cross" this is mine, on Kindle. I have crossed many bridges and will continue to do so.