What is the difference between Symbicort vs albuterol?

B4ldfour asked...

Nwoodbridge65 answered...

There are significant differences between Albuterol and Symbicort inhalers. Symbicort is an inhalant corticosteroid that works as a dilator on the lungs and airways. It works in two ways: reducing inflammation (one of the leading causes of asthma attacks), and also helps to open the airways, thus improving the percentage of the airflow quality in a patient. Albuterol is used only as a rescue inhaler for asthmatic patients. It works by relaxing the muscles in the airways and spasms that are a side effect of an asthma attack. Albuterol is not used to prevent asthma attacks; it only works effectively when treating an asthma attack. Therefore, it should be used on an "as needed basis." Symbicort is a preventative and maintenance inhaler for asthmatic patients.Reference: www.drugs.com

Bobo12 answered...

Thank you.

Mike w. answered...

Very helpful, looks like I'm using the wrong kind of medication. I'm on Ventolin but do not have asthma. I don't know why my doctor put me on this.

Lora w answered...

Symbicort ads on TV suggest that combining symbicort and albuterol is somehow dangerous. This did not answer my question.

Carrie a answered...

LORA.. My dr. has me on both albuterol and symbicort. I have always used albuterol alone as a rescue, but about 3 months ago my dr. put me on symbicort as well and they don't seem to be a bad mix. They seem to be helpful though I am needed the albuterol less and less. I hope this helps.

Katmac answered...

I also use both but I don't know what I'd do without the symbicort. Helps me a lot. I think besides an emergency inhaler, albuterol helps break up the mucus so my wheezing goes away. Very tough having copd and emphysema.

Gwhopetohelp answered...

my newest doctor said if i use my Symbicort inhaler once i should use it 5 days in a row for the proper effect. this has made an incredible difference! i use it much less overall now and the overall effect is much greater!

This is how my Doctor explained it to me Symbicort is for your everyday use to help with preventative & strengthening keeping air ways open. Now You are out on a nature walk and suddenly OMG you can' get any air!! use the Abuterol that is your emergency inhaler. More like an attack a short term use then back to the Symbicort once the Emergency feels like its over. But Each Doctor might have his patient use them differently depending on how sick you are , on what you are using them for ,Asking a bunch of people on the internet if its safe is not going to let you know it safe, what is safe for me might not be safe for you depending on what is wrong with you, only your doctor will know that so be safe.... just ask you doctor how they want you to use them they will tell you. I call and ask mine doctors nurse questions all the time, the usually get back to me that day!