What is the difference between Proventil vs Proair?

Vampirearal asked...

Rteasdale71 answered...

Proventil and ProAir are both inhalers that contain the same dosage of the same drug, albuterol, which is prescribed for respiratory conditions such as asthma and Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease (COPD), as well as for the prevention of respiratory symptoms experienced by some individuals after exercise or other forms of physical exertion. The only difference between the two is that they are made by different manufacturers. Proair is made by TEVA Pharmaceuticals, while Merck & Co. manufactures Proventil. If you have a prescription for albuterol that hasn't been specified "Dispense as Written" by your prescribing physician, your pharmacy may fill it with either Proventil or Proair, depending on what they have in stock. Sources: drugs.com, Drug Information Handbook (15th Edition, 2007-2008), and personal knowledge as a certified pharmacy technician.

Dawnzoc answered...

This is what the manufacter's and pharmacist's say however pro air does not provide the breathing relief that Albuterol does. I have to argue with Health insurance each time, If anyone were to take a survey of actual Asthma sufferer's this would become immediately apparent based on the numerous people I have personally spoken to on this subject.

Asthma sufferer answered...

I have asthma and I've been on pro air. My doctor recently changed my script to provental without telling me and argued that it's the same thing. I disagree! I tried it for the sake of argument and provental does not offer the same relief that pro air does! With pro air, I use my inhaler about 4 x a week tops, with Povental 5 x a day minimum!

Pooka47401 answered...

I have had to fight for years to keep my Proventil prescription from being changed to Proair, and I just failed. I noticed when ProAir was first introduced, that it was being given out by my Dr and my prescription was changed by the Pharmacist to ProAir. It was a full on Push to make everyone change to ProAir. It was like everyone was paid off by ProAir Corporation. Now I am on Medicare and, alth0ugh SilverScript said that it covered Proventil when I si9ned up, two months later I got a Letter. The prescription drug plans, can quit covering your drug with 60 day notice and you have no way to change plans until the following November. I am furious. ProAir is a coarser powder than Proventil. I never have to clean my plastic inhaler with Proventil and I have to clean it twice a day with ProAir. Did I say that the powder we are supposed to inhale is coarser?

Past-pal answered...

There is a huge difference between Pro-Air and Proventil if you arte allergic to corn products which I unfortunately am! When I was prescribed Pro Air years ago I immediately wound up calling 911 and wound up in the Hospital from my airways closing up almost shut! Pro-Air uses Ethanol as one of its bases for the propellant to spray out which is made from corn and Proventil uses an HFA made by Du-Pont that does not have ethanol!