What is the difference between Proventil vs Proair?

7 answers | Last updated: May 19, 2017
Vampirearal asked...

Rteasdale71 answered...

Proventil and ProAir are both inhalers that contain the same dosage of the same drug, albuterol, which is prescribed for respiratory conditions such as asthma and Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease (COPD), as well as for the prevention of respiratory symptoms experienced by some individuals after exercise or other forms of physical exertion. The only difference between the two is that they are made by different manufacturers. Proair is made by TEVA Pharmaceuticals, while Merck & Co. manufactures Proventil. If you have a prescription for albuterol that hasn't been specified "Dispense as Written" by your prescribing physician, your pharmacy may fill it with either Proventil or Proair, depending on what they have in stock. Sources: drugs.com, Drug Information Handbook (15th Edition, 2007-2008), and personal knowledge as a certified pharmacy technician.

Dawnzoc answered...

This is what the manufacter's and pharmacist's say however pro air does not provide the breathing relief that Albuterol does. I have to argue with Health insurance each time, If anyone were to take a survey of actual Asthma sufferer's this would become immediately apparent based on the numerous people I have personally spoken to on this subject.

Asthma sufferer answered...

I have asthma and I've been on pro air. My doctor recently changed my script to provental without telling me and argued that it's the same thing. I disagree! I tried it for the sake of argument and provental does not offer the same relief that pro air does! With pro air, I use my inhaler about 4 x a week tops, with Povental 5 x a day minimum!

Pooka47401 answered...

I have had to fight for years to keep my Proventil prescription from being changed to Proair, and I just failed. I noticed when ProAir was first introduced, that it was being given out by my Dr and my prescription was changed by the Pharmacist to ProAir. It was a full on Push to make everyone change to ProAir. It was like everyone was paid off by ProAir Corporation. Now I am on Medicare and, alth0ugh SilverScript said that it covered Proventil when I si9ned up, two months later I got a Letter. The prescription drug plans, can quit covering your drug with 60 day notice and you have no way to change plans until the following November. I am furious. ProAir is a coarser powder than Proventil. I never have to clean my plastic inhaler with Proventil and I have to clean it twice a day with ProAir. Did I say that the powder we are supposed to inhale is coarser?

Past-pal answered...

There is a huge difference between Pro-Air and Proventil if you arte allergic to corn products which I unfortunately am! When I was prescribed Pro Air years ago I immediately wound up calling 911 and wound up in the Hospital from my airways closing up almost shut! Pro-Air uses Ethanol as one of its bases for the propellant to spray out which is made from corn and Proventil uses an HFA made by Du-Pont that does not have ethanol!

Pro air does not work as well as proventil, and for some reason insurance companies don't want to pay for Proventil, and it's stupid because pro air doesn't work for a lot of people. They say it's the same medicine in it, that is not true at all, it is not the same. Someone also said the inhaler should last almost two months, that is not true either, they do not keep your asthma under control with steroids in pill form. Be very careful of how much prednisone you take it destroys your teeth, and your joints, it's not something you want to take continuously, I use my inhaler sometimes daily, it depends on how bad your asthma is.

Kmill104 answered...

I have used both (chronic asthma since age 3-now 26 and have tried it all) While I agree, proventil does seem to be the most effective, I do find myself using it far more often than I ever did on ProAir. I am considering switching back to ProAir for two main factors, it is half the price and it has a longer lasting effect. Proventil works quicker, ProAir works longer. Unfortunately, the ProAir nebulizer is just awful. It clogs very often so if you are going to use it, be sure to clean it frequently to avoid any wasted dosage. Simply running hot water through the applicator and allowing it to air dry is more than sufficient.