What is the difference between Proventil vs Proair?

Vampirearal asked...

Rteasdale71 answered...

Proventil and ProAir are both inhalers that contain the same dosage of the same drug, albuterol, which is prescribed for respiratory conditions such as asthma and Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease (COPD), as well as for the prevention of respiratory symptoms experienced by some individuals after exercise or other forms of physical exertion. The only difference between the two is that they are made by different manufacturers. Proair is made by TEVA Pharmaceuticals, while Merck & Co. manufactures Proventil. If you have a prescription for albuterol that hasn't been specified "Dispense as Written" by your prescribing physician, your pharmacy may fill it with either Proventil or Proair, depending on what they have in stock. Sources: drugs.com, Drug Information Handbook (15th Edition, 2007-2008), and personal knowledge as a certified pharmacy technician.

Dawnzoc answered...

This is what the manufacter's and pharmacist's say however pro air does not provide the breathing relief that Albuterol does. I have to argue with Health insurance each time, If anyone were to take a survey of actual Asthma sufferer's this would become immediately apparent based on the numerous people I have personally spoken to on this subject.

Asthma sufferer answered...

I have asthma and I've been on pro air. My doctor recently changed my script to provental without telling me and argued that it's the same thing. I disagree! I tried it for the sake of argument and provental does not offer the same relief that pro air does! With pro air, I use my inhaler about 4 x a week tops, with Povental 5 x a day minimum!