What is the difference between Nexium vs pantoprazole?

Fredb4g0 asked...

T hambright answered...

Nexium and Pantoprazole are both in the family of drugs known as proton pump inhibitors (PPI's), used to treat acid reflux disease, or GERD, by reducing the amount of acid produced by the stomach during the day. Pantoprazole, marketed as "Protonix", is considered the least expensive of the PPI's, but also the least effective anecdotally. Nexium, also known as esomeprazole, is more expensive but considered to be more effective. When Nexium was compared against other PPI's such as Prilosec and Prevacid (omeprazole, lansoprazole), the Nexium was approximately the same effectiveness, but Pantoprazole was less effective. In conclusion, for reflux treatment, Pantoprazole can be used for less severe reflux and for money savings, whereas the Nexium should be used for the more severe cases of reflux. (http://www.webgerd.com/FAQ.htm)

Ed fields answered...

I WAS ON NEXIUM & PLAVIX FOR 8 YRS BEFORE I WAS TOLD THE TWO OVERRIDE EACH OTHER AND THEN I WAS PUT ON PANTOPRAZOLE FOR ACID REFLUX AND CLOPIDOGREL FOR PLAVIX.. I AM NOW HAVING BLOCKED STINTS REPAIRED (WHY)