What does a light blue ring around the iris of the eye indicate?

Marsha1947 asked...

Lylas Mogk, M.D. is an ophthalmologist and director of the Henry Ford Visual Rehabilitation and Research Center in Grosse Pointe and Livonia, Michigan, and the author of Macular Degeneration: The Complete Guide to Saving and Maximizing Your Sight.

If the light blue iris ring you are seeing is at or near the margin between the iris (colored part of your eye) and the sclera (white part) and forms a large ring around that margin it is likely to be a deposit of cholesterol. It does not damaging to the eye and does not interfere with vision. This is very common in older individuals but if you are a young adult it may suggest high cholesterol. If the ring you are seeing is anywhere else on the iris other than following the outside margin, it should be checked.

Lylas Mogk, MD

I have the same thing on both of my eyes. but i have several rings. not just one. i was diagnosed with high cholesterol. its a little high. wow im glad to know there is nothing wrong with me...lol.

Marybeth717 answered...

I'm fairly young 42, & I have a blue ring around both eyes, however my cholesterol total is about 94 very low. Would you suggest I get this checked out for something other than cholesterol deposits?

Pat pulley answered...

My doctor told me it was inherited but I don't know it could be cholesterol.

Prickles answered...

I have a beautiful blue ring around my brown iris which developed about two years ago. My cholesterol level is low 3.0 what could be the cause of mine

Pick74 answered...

I have a blue ring my brown iris which developed about 5 years ago my cholesterol is normal what could be the cause of mine l m 60 years old ?

Rhodesdad answered...

I've had the blue ring around the brown Iris in both eyes all my life and my cholesterol is fine there are they aren't deposits it's just the color of my eyes

Viijee answered...

I am 16 and have deep brown to black eyes with a blue ring around it. I have had it my whole life, and never have the doctors said anything about high cholesterol.