Is there something that will prevent moles from erupting?

Eggerist asked...

I have many moles on my body but recently more and more are erupting in several areas and they itch excessivly. Witch hazel helps for a short time. What can I take to stop more from erupting?

Jessica J. Krant, MD, MPH, is a board-certified dermatologist specializing in medical, cosmetic, and surgical dermatology, including Mohs micrographic skin cancer surgery. In addition to her work in private practice, Krant is assistant clinical professor of dermatology at SUNY Downstate Medical Center.

Having moles erupting on your body suddenly can be a little unsettling, but you probably shouldn't worry. I would like to say a few things about your question.

First of all... the main concern is whether or not the growths are actually "moles". Technically speaking, a mole is a collection of pigmented skin cells that is usually benign and doesn't become cancerous, but on very rare occasion, could become melanoma. So it's important to be able to know for sure whether your growths are indeed real moles or not. Moles (nevi) usually do not grow in new crops and large bunches, so I wonder if you have other growths developing such as possibly seborrheic keratoses (slightly warty or soft looking) or skin tags, which can seem to erupt on occasion.

Seborrheic (means "greasy") keratoses and skin tags CAN itch sometimes, so occasional witch hazel is all right to use, but there is no medication that can make them melt away or prevent their growth. The only way to get rid of them is to have them physically removed. A board-certified dermatologist could do this for you easily. The thing to keep in mind, is that new ones may continue to develop, and they would also need to be physically removed.

I recommend a trip to the dermatologist at least to find out what exactly the growths are, find out if there are any of concern medically, and find out your options for getting rid of them painlessly.

Eggerist answered...

Thank you, I will schedule an appt with my derm, espec since I was told that I have Seborrheic arthritis.