What can be done for skin breaks between my toes?

I have been having problems between my toes on both feet where the skin will break open and then start bleeding. What can I do to stop this from happening?

Jane Andersen, DPM, is a board-certified podiatrist in private practice in Chapel Hill, North Carolina. She provides surgical and nonsurgical foot and ankle care to all types of patients, including the geriatric population in her area. With the American Podiatric Medical Association, she has worked to educate the public on foot and ankle health.

Often times, skin cracks or breaks between the toes are caused by a fungal infection known as athlete's foot. It can cause itching and burning as well. This type of skin infection should be treated with topical antifungal medication. There are several good over the counter products like Lamisil and Lotrimin. Liquids or gels should be used between the toes, not creams or ointments which create too much moisture. If you have any doubts, if the infection is not resolving, or if there is any redness or swelling, you should see your local podiatrist for evaluation and treatment. Prescription medication may be needed.

Rps answered...

My athlete's foot problem was resolved by thoroughly drying between my toes by using a hand-held hair dryer. Afterwards, I also applied baking soda or corn starch until the cracks were healed.

Twissey answered...

My athletes foot infection kept recurring, I would clear it with anti fungal creams and powders but the skin would soon crack again. I ended the cycle, having managed to heal the splits I applied surgical spirit twice daily after washing and thoroughly drying the feet. Just a little spirit on a tuft of cotton wool, after 3 weeks the skin had toughened and no longer tended to crack.

Fantastic natural remedies thank you!!!!