What are the symptoms of internal shingles?

Heart5 asked...

Mrizzi50 answered...

As with so very many ailments, apparently internal shingles, or shingles which develop on the internal organs of your body will at first cause a series of flu-like symptoms such as headaches, chills, body aches, nausea and fever. Internal shingles are a rare result of a somewhat common viral infection, chicken pox of all things, and can lie dormant for long periods of time before manifesting any symptoms. More advanced indications of internal shingles include painful swelling of the lymph nodes and oral blisters and although internal shingles can also lead to encephalitis or brain swelling, the symptoms are all fairly common and the ailment is in fact very rare. If you are concerned that you might have internal shingles ask a medical professional about it as quickly as you can because the ailment is treatable with steroids but brain swelling can cause long term damage.

In my upper 70s, Caucasian, female. Had vaccine to prevent/control shingles a year ago. Began having pain on upper left back, left shoulder, and left upper arm. The eruptions were fairly small and pain more akin to sunburn or pins sticking. Many episodes of intense itching. Enlarged lymph nodes under arm and collar bone.Headaches, indigestion, diarrhea, and flatuence continue. Could this be/have been internal shingles? Had medical attention to confirm; however, was told too late to have the antiviral treatment. No mention of internal shingles. Self treated with Pepcid, Ibuprofen, benadryl at night,& alcohol wipes or Aquaphor ointment when itching.

Alexis27 answered...

Witch hazel works better than rubbing alcohol, it helps calm the nevers and the sores go a way much faster.

My husband was dx with internal shingles..he was in so much pain, actually writhing in pain on the floor...the dr would only give him hydrocodone, which didn't even touch the pain. After a year, it was finally diagnosed as stage 4 lung cancer. Welcome to a small town & faith in small town doctors!

I have been having a pain from the lower part of my back all the way around to the right part of my head and down into my abdomen really thought this might have been another two more coming on I've been known to get benign tumors and they kind of act like that I have them removed and they're always the night at this time I had went to the doctor's 2 months ago and told him that I was having real sharp needle-like pain nothing was done this time I had it when I went back to the doctor I said I am in pain Taunton I said it's like heartburn real bad heartburn when you burn inside your body but it's severe and it's all the time I also have had a sinus infection and he prescribed me amoxicillin as soon as I started taking the amoxicillin the pain started to subside in my right hip that you could feel the muscle or the nerve or whatever it is that was swollen you could feel it and that's where it's coming from and my skin is sensitive to touch he even thought I had shingles but he said that there was no signs of short stories and then someone asked me that they thought you could get internal shingles and there would be no signs of sores on the outside of your body I don't know what to think of all this I just know I'm medical profession really sucks bad and nobody no one knows what to do for people anymore thank you

Tab stone answered...

In 2011 I was typing away at the computer one night when suddenly my left eye began to have a stinging pain- like someone was gouging me repeatedly with a sewing needle right in my eye - this lasted for hours. The next morning the eye was watering constantly. Every time I blinked it felt as though sandpaper had been replaced to natural tears. Blisters had covered both the top and bottom lids. The blisters were also on my forehead and scalp. My scalp was so sore. It felt as though someone had beaten me with a ballbat. I also had a secondary infection caused from shingles because none of the doctors diagnosed shingles correctly until it - the shingles- become so bad. I went to the eye doctor and he was the one who told me I had ocular shingles. Since then I have had a couple of relapses. Now I can pretty much tell if I am going to have another round of them. Yes I am aware there is now a shot to prevent them, however , my religion prevents me from getting the shot. Though I would recommend anyone reading this and can get the shot - to do so- because not only is it very painful, scary( it can affect your internal organs possibly even your brain),It also scarred my cornea so severely - my vision in my left eye is permanently scarred for life!