What is the best way to recover brain function after a stroke

what are the best ways to repair the brain from a stroke? Does the confusion, asbentmindedness, forgetfulness, loss of directions and ideas, diminish over time. I want to take courses but my thinking is cloudy? Is that because of the stroke(s)?

The best way to recover after a stroke is to do what it sounds like you are doing - try to exercise your brain as much as possible. This includes reading on your own, trying crossword puzzles, taking classes, Suduko, etc. Also, ask your physician if there are any speech therapists in your area that you could work with. Given time, you should make some notable improvements.

It is also helpful to consider medical therapy. First, follow your doctors guidelines to help prevent any additional strokes (even small ones that you may not notice). Also, you may be a candidate for a cognitive enhancing medicine like donepezil. I would ask your doctor if that may be helpful in your case.

Howard3 answered...

As a stroke survivor, I would suggest that there are also some good online tools that you can use to exercise your brain (Brain Fitness and Luminosity). My long term care insurance company paid for the Brain Fitness Program, which says something to me since insurance companies do not typically reach out to give things away, so they at least must think it is worthwhile.

I would also suggest that you make a list of things (both physical and mental) that you can not do now, so that as you make improvements, you can always look back at the list to remind yourself of how much you have improved.