Having difficulty with the external catheter - any tips?

Our 80 year old father had a serious stroke. We tried to use an external catheter and a drainage bedside bag overnight, so that we can have some sleep, since he needs to urinate up to 5 times a night. Unfortunately, we have a problem putting on the external catheter (the condom-like one). The one we use is with an adhesive tape. Also, sometimes he has a problem of a retracted penis. Could you please provide some tips how to apply the mail external catheter, so that it stays on and does not form an air-bubble at its tip. Thank you!

As I read your letter, I was thinking to myself about all the times I tried to use those external male drainage devices, and how much trouble I had with them. This is probably why we do not use them much anymore in health care settings. The external device you are using (which looks like a condom that is hooked up to a drainage bag) is difficult, because it falls off and can leak.

My thoughts on how to help this include: 1) Use a skin prep pad prior to applying the condom so that it sticks better and forms a better seal. This will also help protect his skin, as the adhesive in the tape can be irritating. This should be available in a medical supply store. 2) The "bubble" you speak of in your letter forms when the tube or condom kinks up and does not drain properly. Frequent checks of the tubing will help it to drain better, which will prevent the bubble. 3) For a retracted penis, the application of the device gets more difficult. Make sure he is lying flat, and try and grasp the penis to make it as upright as you possibly can before applying the device.

Alternatives to try instead of using the external device include: 1) Prop a urinal between his legs, with the penis placed inside the opening. However, this won't work well if he is moving around alot in bed at night. 2) Or, have him use a urinal on his own if he can instead of getting up and trying to use the bathroom. He may need more than one, especially if no one is around to empty them. You can leave them on his bed or at his bedside.

My last thought: Your father has pretty severe symptoms of urgency, which may be due to BPH (enlarged prostate), his stroke, or something more serious like urine retention and even prostate cancer. You should have your father evaluated for his frequent urination at night (called nocturia) to see if there are any alternatives (like meds or a procedure) that can help him. Even if you could reduce his nocturia by one to two times a night, that might make all the difference. I would recommend making an appointment with a urologist to have your father evaluated if he hasn't been already.

Staghill answered...

THERE ARE MANY DIFFERENT BRANDS OF CONDOM CATHETERS. THE TYPE YOU ARE USING, I COULD NEVER MAKE IT STAY ON EITHER. I WENT TO A MEDICAL SUPPLY STORE AND FOUND A BRAND THAT ALREADY HAS AN ADHESIVE ON IT BUT... I FOUND I NEED TO USE A WATER PROOF TAPE ALSO. YOU PUT ON THE WATER PROOF TAPE FIRST AT THE TOP OF THE PENIS. THEN YOU TAKE THE CONDOM CATHETER AND ATTACH IT TO THE WATER PROOF TAPE ON TOP OF THE PENIS. I ALSO USED KLING, WHICH IS A TYPE OF BANDAGE THAT STICKS TO ITSELF. I USE THIS TAPE TO HOLD THE TUBING OF THE CATHETER IN PLACE ON THE UPPER LEG. ONCE YOU FIND A WAY TO MAKE THIS WORK, LIFE WILL BE EASIER. AT LEAST YOU CAN GET A GOOD NIGHTS SLEEP. DON'T GIVE UP.KEEP TRYING ALSO I FOUND OUT AT THE MEDICAL SUPPLY STORE, MANY DIFFERENT SIZES....THE RIGHT SIZE IS IMPORTANT.

Zinca answered...

My husband has a similar penis so we don't use an external catheter. I recently found a diaper called "Dry 24/7 maximum absorbency" which lasts 10-12 hours and holds 93 ozs. I am now getting a full night's sleep! The tabs have some problem with re-sticking but package tape works fine if you need it. They are wonderful anyway. I got them from XPmedical online.

Look into the Liberty by Bioderm. It's an external catheter made specifically for men with retracted penis. My dad just had prostate cancer and has some of the same issues with the external catheters...this is the ONLY one that worked for him. They look odd but only fit onto the tip of the penis and work well when penis retracts. Hope that helps you out!