Will taking vitamins make my cancer worse?

Rosana asked...

I am 58 years old and I have Breast Cancer, Stage IIIA. I am currently not receiving any kind of treatment or any type of help but I was going to an Acupuncture Doctor until he told me that he was not going to continue on seeing me since I was not going as often as he wanted me to go and I guess he got upset and he gave me a description on how I was going to die and suffer, also he told me not to take any type of vitamins because the cancer love to take vitamins, is this true? My friends told me to take Q10. In addition, I have another question, why some doctors have to go into details on how the disease will take over my body and why some doctors can be so cruel. Thank you.

Andrew Putnam, M.D. is a Palliative Care physician at Smilow Cancer Center at Yale New Haven Hospital and Yale University.

I see no reason not to take vitamins if you think that they might help. I do not believe that vitamins should take the place of help from an oncologist, but I also do not believe it hurts to take them. Doctors can get concerned if they feel people are not seeking the best treatment they can. The words may sound cruel but they may be worried if you are not seeing an oncologist for your cancer. There may be better ways for them to explain themselves but usually they are trying to help.