Vacation / Spas for the Elderly? Do they exist?

Docnotormaybe asked...

My mother is 83 and gets around the house pretty well on her own , but has fallen a couple of times , I want to find a rehab for her that she doesn't have to go to the hospital first to get involved with ; actually I want to find a travel venue / Health Spa for her, I think that if I invest a good sum of money at this time of her life that it will add a few more quality years that she wouldn't other wise have , Some venue where they are 'ACTUALLY ' good at handling elderly people, This would take probably most of my own retirement money ( which isn't much ), but I think well worth it ,

Donna Quinn Robbins is the author of Moving Mom and Dad and On the Road of Life, Drive Yourself. She helps individuals, families, retirement communities, and corporations make successful transitions through her company, Ultimate Moves. Robbins is an active public speaker on the topic of senior transition services and has appeared on NBC's Today Show.

If you are interested in something just for a short time you can try Elder Hostel. You could contact the Grey Panthers website or retirement communities have respite programs that might work. Good luck. Donna Robbins

Ann cason answered...

Such a good question in an age when aging can be looked at as growing sick. You have the right idea, but I hope you won't have to use all of your retirement money. Your mother could get spa treatment in her own community by setting up a regime of exercise, diet, massage or other programs of wellness and body work.
If you want to make it a travel venue, you could Google health spas for seniors. There are many suggestions from affordable to posh. With 40 million people over the age of 65, Positive and Healthy Aging programs are going to be available on a larger scale. It would be wonderful if your mother could learn how to take care of herself and appreciate the worthiness of her being before she falls down or grows ill. Best wishes in this worthy endeavor.

Sho b answered...

Hello doctornotormaybe, Thanks for sharing your question with our community. Thanks to Donna and Ann for your helpful advice.

You can search for respite care communities through our Senior Care Directory. We'll show you options in your area (or a location of your choice) and even chat with you about other care options that may be right for your mom in those areas. Not to mention, this service is free of charge from Caring.com.

Feel free to search for respite care here, or call one of our Family Advisors at (866) 824-8174.

Keep us posted - we're here for you.