Will VA medical care still cover me if I get sick in another country?

A fellow caregiver asked...

I get VA medical care. Can you tell me what I would do if I was out of the country and got seriously sick and needed medical attention?

Expert Answer

It's possible, but it depends on several factors. First, in order to get overseas care, you have to have a VA rated service-connected condition. Also, there are limits on the types of care you can receive -- the VA must determine that the care is "medically necessary" and related to your service-connected condition. The VA medical system does not provide the care itself, but a special VA overseas medical program can pay for such qualifying care you receive from medical providers oversees, whether you're living abroad or just traveling.

Overseas medical coverage for eligible veterans is handled through what's called the Foreign Medical Program, which is part of the VA. You can get more information from the program, including specific contact numbers in the countries you'll be visiting, by calling the Foreign Medical Program Office at (303) 331-7590 or emailing them at g.fmp@champva.denver.va.gov.