I made the decision to take my wife off life supports at the doctors recomendation. Will I have problems with her lfe insurance carrior when filing to collect?

Donbl asked...

Steve Weisman hosts the nationally syndicated radio show A Touch of Grey, heard on more than 50 stations, including WABC in New York City and KRLA in Los Angeles. He is a practicing lawyer specializing in estate planning and is admitted to practice before the United States Supreme Court. He's a public speaker and commentator who has appeared on many radio and television shows throughout the country, and he's the legal editor of Talkers magazine, the preeminent trade publication of talk radio. His latest book is The Truth About Avoiding Scams.

One of the most difficult choices anyone can face is whether to terminate life support when you are acting as an agent under an advance care health directive.

Although the law does state that someone who causes another person's death may not profit from the death of that person and may not inherit from the deceased person, this doesn't apply to your situation. This law is meant to prevent a person who murders or even negligently causes the death of someone else to profit from the death. The decision to take your wife off of life support after receiving a recommendation to do so by her physician should not prevent you from receiving the life insurance proceeds.