How can I get my mother-in-law to take her medicine?

Beth asked...

How can I get my mother-in-law to take her medicine? She is in the late stages of Alzheimer's and lately she has been refusing to take her pills. I have tried crushing them up and putting them in her food but she ends up spitting them out because it tastes so bad. Is there anything I can do to make this easier on both of us? I am very concerned that she is not getting all her medication.

Hi Beth,

I hope you received the help you need. The community member who answered seems to have a great deal of first hand experience. I'm going to add the importance of talking to a pharmacy about this situation, and your mom's doctors. Together they should be able to come up with a plan for making sure your mom takes her meds. This doesn't mean it will be easy. But at least you'll have medical expertise to work with.