(800) 973-1540

Is it possible to recover from a stroke-induced coma?

6 answers | Last updated: Feb 17, 2015

If an elderly person were to have a stroke and slip into a coma would you expect them to recover?

Caring.com User - James Castle, M.D.
James Castle, M.D. answered...

This is somewhat difficult to answer without having more detail about the cause of the coma, the size of the stroke, the type of stroke, etc. However, in general, if an elderly person slips into a coma after a stroke, the prognosis is very poor. If they come out of their coma, the prognosis for a meaningful recovery (able to feed themselves, walk, talk, clothe themselves, etc.) is also very poor. Therefore, probably best to defer judgement to the doctors that are treating the person, but overall the prognosis sounds quite grim.

Kunle answered...

My dad slipped into a stroke-induced coma and never came out of it. Should it happen I would suggest making final plans for the loved one. Kunle. www.a-speedwireless.com

ztech1 answered...

I had a major hemmoraghic stroke and was in a coma for 6 1/2 weeks and thanks to my wife, the great doctors at the VA, yes the VA, and the one above. I am here still. So yes I would say it is possible. I did.

My grandmother had a major stroke added with a blood clot in her brain and had another smaller stroke which induced a coma. She has been under for 4 days now and any stories such as the one above are helpful. Hope is running thin at this moment and all we can do is pray. Please keep hope at all times. Once you lose it seems that it all goes downhill

Amba answered...

My grandfather had a major stroke a few weeks ago and another 4 minor strokes from then. He is now asleep and in a vegatative state. He wakes up every few days for about half an hour or so. He still makes noises when moved, moves eyes when they are open, coughs and snores. Is it possible that he will come out of it and still have some quality of life? We are all so confused of what to believe but we are leaving it in gods hands. We think god is testing our faith in him. All we can do is think positive, pray everyday and hope for a miracle.

Christine S answered...

My stepfather, in his nineties, has slipped into a stroke induced coma. He is slowly starving to death. He is breathing through his mouth so they are unable to feed him by a tube. It is agony to watch and I am fast becoming a believer in euthanasia in certain circumstances. We would not allow a dog to endure this horror.