What do my stress test results really mean?

Michaael asked...

My treadmill stress test showed: EKG at Peak HR: 1 mm Inferolateral ST depression at peak exercise that resolved in recovery. ECHO at peak: Hypokinesis of basal inferior wall and basal inferoseptum. What do these abnormalities mean? Doctor wants me to have an angiogram.

Carolyn Strimike, N.P. and Margie Latrella, N.P. are cardiac nurse practitioners specializing in the prevention of heart disease and stroke. They have over 40 years of nursing experience in Cardiology between them. The main goal of their work is to counsel, motivate and empower women to adopt healthy lifestyle choices.

Your stress test and Echo results suggest that a portion of the inferolateral wall (which is the bottom and side of the heart muscle) may not be getting enough blood. The heart is a muscle and when the blood flow is diminished the muscle does not get enough oxygen and this could lead to a heart attack. The coronary angiogram (cardiac catheterization) is more accurate and allows the doctor to look at the actual blood vessels and see if any narrowing or blockage is present.