How long is my mother's life expectancy with stage four breast cancer?

Tas6282 asked...

My mother started to get tumors all over her body very suddenly almost overnight. I took her to the doctor and tests were done. She was diagnosed with Stage 4 small cell breast cancer, in both breasts, that has spread to her lungs, soft tissue, ribs, bones, left arm, lymph nodes, and back. It is spreading rapidly. I can't get an earlier appointment than two weeks from today to be seen by another specialist. I want to be as prepared as possible and know what to expect. She is already down to 101lbs and is in a great deal of pain. She doesn't get out of bed much because she can barely walk. She had to have a spinal cord surgery last Oct. and it affects her walking and pain level as well. In your opinion, how long do I have left with my mother, her doctor refuses to give a life expectancy, she feels she doesn't want to give false hope, or take away hope. I just need to have some kind of idea, just how bad is this, is this hopeless?

Stefvani answered...

Pray for the best and prepare for the worst. Spent as much time with your mother as possible. No case is hopeless, everyday we wake up is a blessing in itself. I am going to pray for your mother and pray that God Strenghtens you as well. God Bless. Hugs and Prayer

Im a survivor answered...

As a Stage III breast cancer survivor of 6 years I have met a lot of people with breast cancer.I have friends who have been diagnosed stage IV and one has lived 22 years so far and another 16 years and is still alive. I also have a friend who was diagnosed at stage II. She died less than two years later. I know how bad you want the answer because I have asked that for myself over the last six years. I'm not sure anyone can give you a guaranteed answer. Continue to look if that is what you need but please don't drive yourself crazy. Spend time with your mom while she still is able to enjoy the time with you. Create some more memories that you can keep forever. It's hard to face loosing a parent or seeing their health decline. I lost my mom 18 years ago and my father is declining in the present.

Your mom's doctor is the only person that knows all the areas that are affected by her cancer and is really the best person to give you an answer. Let the doctor know that you need an idea and that you understand that even with an answer it is still only an educated guess.

Good Luck and Best Wishes for both of you.

Louiseb answered...

I understand exactly what you are asking and why. My ";little" sister was diagnosed with stage 4 breast cancer and llived three years. It will vary greatly from person to person. Only God knows our "return" date. I agree that you should perpare for the worst and hope for the best. And pray, pray, pray for comfort for your Mother and youself and family. My heart cries for you. Keep your chin up and know that prayers are coming your way. Give yourself a big hug. BL

Auntieree answered...

I will be praying for you and I hope everything works out for you Dear.We don't know when our time is coming. Just enjoy the days you spend together and create memories that you will have for as long as you live.Every day we live is a gift to each of us.

Indyannak answered...

I had breast cancer 33 years ago, was in remission for 18 years, it came back to my femur--went thru chemo and radiation and now am in remission again for another 14 years. We just have to keep kicking it away, no matter how bad it seems. All cancers are not the same, so we can't compare one person to another, but just know that if there's something left to try, do it. Hope is so cathartic.

I hope you are still checking answers, that you have been to the specialist by now and have more information on what you are dealing with. Small cell breast cancer is rare, not a regular of the usual three. But then bc has many identities. Be certain the diagnosis checks the lungs to be certain it did not originate there, which would instead be small cell lung carcinoma. The small cell bc is an endocrine interrupter and I only know this - there are many ways we are exposed to these interrupters. GMO foods, estrogen-laden shampoos and dish soap among so many. To help treatment, a person with cancer must do a lifestyle change that supports their bodies during any tx and gets them away from the possible accelerator of the cancer. Whatever you do, do not lose your time with your mom now, schedule your research and work for when she is resting. My best to you. I used fucoidan maritech capsules broken into non-acidic juice 2 4x / day on empty stomach and no food after for two hours and I got better from what cancer I dealt with, though it is not rare and not that progressed as your mom is dealing with. But there is hope. Never let a doctor take that from you.