Who has more legal rights, a spouse or parent?

what rights do I have as a wife when my husband has fallen ill and there is an over-bearing and power-struck mother-in-law that has grabbed all of his important documents and jewelry? She has also gone to my husband's job to try and collect his pay. At a time like this how do I protect my husband and my family?

Your best defense in dealing with this difficult personality may be a good offense. That will likely require you to do some legwork to get your facts and documents in order and to be assertive and stand your ground.

Given that your time and energy is probably taken up in attending to your husband's illness, this may all feel like an additional burden. It may be useful to enlist the help of others"”friends, family members, neighbors, specific professionals"”to ease your load where possible.

First, get clear on your rights and entitlements by collecting and reviewing all legal documents that are in place: wills, trusts, insurance beneficiary designations, bank account ownership. It may not be necessary to do anything with this information for now. But knowing what exists and where will make you prepared should your mother-in-law attempt to overstep her bounds in any of these areas.

Then, there's the practical part of dealing with her overbearing personality that may be more difficult. Is there any way to involve her while setting some limits on her behavior? Some people who swing into the "take charge" mode you describe are simply scared or agitated and genuinely want to help in some way. Perhaps you could ask her to cook a meal on a certain day of the week, or walk the dog, or visit your husband at a set time when you are working or need to do errands. Try to be clear about what may be needed"”and what feels mettlesome and unnecessary.

Imposing some structure in your planning"”perhaps establishing a computerized or hard copy schedule"”may help drive home the seriousness of the situation to your mother-in-law. And enlisting others such as willing friends, neighbors, family members, and religious leaders to be around, help out"”and maybe even intervene to keep your mother-in-law more contained may also help dilute the situation so that her actions somehow feel less personal and annoying.

There may also be other visitors to the site who could weigh in with suggestions that have worked for them in dealing with overbearing relatives.