What could be causing a tightness and itching on my face?

What could be causing a tightening and itching of the skin around my face? It is red and scaly in appearance. It feels as though my skin is being stretched and almost feels chapped. This has been going on for about 6 months. I have been through numerous jars and tubes of moisture creams and nothing helps. I have been diagnosed with pre-diabetes. Could this have something to do with it?

There could be several things that cause this kind of problem, which sounds like an allergy to me. First, it can be a reaction to medication. Is there something new medication wise that you started 6 months ago? Or, it can be a reaction to creams or makeup that you are using. Food allergies often cause a reaction on the face, especially aroung the moouth and eyes. Are you eating any new foods? Common food allergies include mangos, citrus fruits, seafood, or nuts. Do you notice your face getting worse after eating certain things? Think about new detergents or soaps that you are using for the laundry. Rinse your clothes/ towels twice in the washer to get the detergent completely out.

The best way to help yourself would be to go visit a dermatologist, as you need to figure out what is making you react. They can help you go through your medications, foods, creams, etc. to find the most likely cause. Then, they can also give you the proper creams to treat it.

While you wait to see the dermatologist, you should not put ANYTHING on your face except water. In other words, wash your face with water ONLY, and pat it dry. No creams, makeup, or ointments, as they can make the problem worse!

12341941 answered...

I have suspected an allergy to a new medicine, but also think it may be stress related. Skin on all areas of my body are EXTremely dry and scaley looking,even before the was used. I also have a very dry moutth.

Dillpill answered...

I know this is late. And as weird as it sounds, it may be a type of anxiety where you get itchy and your face tightness up and gets red. I have this problem and it is not fun :(. Still experimenting with SSRI's to treat my anxiety

Kilani answered...

It's winter. In this season the battle of healthy skin begins.Dry air takes away the thin layer of oil that traps moisture in the skin, flaring itchy and painful conditions such as eczema, psoriasis, and severe dry skin. There is a solution that you should use moisture and herbal oils.