What is a good way to keep track of my mother's daily activities?

Denmother asked...

Since I am unable to be with my mom daily, I do a lot over the telephone. She has CNA's for several hours a day. Trying to keep track of who gave her what meds, food, bevs, and activities can be a real frustration. I thought I could make a log/diary that they could fill in each day. I can not rely on Mom's memory to be accurate. Right now we are using two calendars and they get neglected.

I was hoping someone has such a daily tracking aid. It would be a big help. Thank you.

Helene Bergman, LMSW, is a certified geriatric care manager (C-ASWCM) and owner of Elder Care Alternatives, a professional geriatric care management business in New York City. She consults with nursing homes and daycare programs to develop specialized programs for Alzheimer's patients.

You are on the right track. As a Care Manager, I set up a Daily Log in my client's homes and the Home Health Aides write a daily narrative. I provide a model that includes: nutrition (specific meal foods- quantity and quality), liquid intake, medication administration, hygiene, activities, special events and behavioral changes. This log enables the team of aides to communicate with each other and enables me, as the coordinator, to pinpoint issues for in-home training of the aides to maintain wellness. Most importantly, it helps long distance family stay informed.

Agencies often provide checklists for CNA's on the job so it does take some training to get them to create a more descriptive narrative. This can be even more challenging if many different CNA's are assigned. Then you have to get the cooperation of the agency. It may take process and patience.

For the meds, there are electronic devices, such as MedReady, that can prevent over-dosing of medications and give you emails or text messages if a dose is has been missed by more than 3-30 minutes.

It is wonderful that you have some CNA's to help you with your mother's care. Wish you the best.

Would like to know more about this MedReady, how do I get one??

Emily m. answered...

Hi Anonymous,

If you'd like to learn more about MedReady, you can check out their website, here: http://www.medreadyinc.com/cart/

I hope that helps.

Take care, Emily | Community Manager

Denmother answered...

Thanks for the Q & A I was wondering that too. Mom has three different pill boxes I set up for the whole week. Still requires supervision so she takes the correct ones at the right time. It is getting cumbersome.

Still looking for a log type page. I made a page-a-week thing just for meals. Now there are three places to record things. Still no record of activities like walks, community room games, visiting, etc. Would be easier on all if everything was on one page.

One thing you might want to consider is a web-based application. If your mom has a computer or smart device with internet connection, you and any of her caregivers could log into a system called ECP (Extended Care Professional).

You can be the administrator on the account and give the CNA's their owner login/password and be able to check on what they are doing at any time by logging in from wherever you are. It has the capability to put tasks & cares even medications all there.

It is really affordable too. Maybe it would work for you! www.ecp123.com

When Mom was under hospice care, and we had to have 24 hour aides there, I had created a spreadsheet that had several columns. Date/Time, aides name, what time the facility administered morphine, what time they administered Xanax, then comments. Under comments, we kept track of if Mom fell, when she urinated, what she ate or drank, B/M's, etc. It was quite helpful both for me as the Care Manager, and the Hospice Nurse as well, since she came by twice a week. It ended up being quite a book, as Mom outlived the Dr's estimate many times over - supposed to only live days, she lasted 10 weeks, with 24 hour aides for the last 6 weeks.