What are the signs and symptoms of salivary gland cancer?

Jackie99 asked...

What are the causes, signs and symptoms of salivary gland cancer? Does it spread quickly like ovarian cancer?

Stephanie99 answered...

Jackie, I'm sure by now you have your answer. My dad was just dx with parotid gland cancer(one of the salivary glands). He had a knot appear right under his ear (where the lynph glands are) This was positive for squamous cell carcinoma. To my understanding if it is a primary parotid gland tumor(rare) it is more aggressive than any other. It is common to have sore throats and neck pain. Also difficulty in swallowing. This is curable but important to catch it in time! Who had cancer? Would be interested in comparing notes.

Julieann-72 answered...

Jackie, my dad was diagnosed with salivary gland cancer about a year a half ago. The only symptom he had was a lump in his neck right under his ear. He went through surgery and they removed 63 lymph nodes. After the surgery he had radiation to his neckand he has been having chemo once a week for about a year. The cancer has now spread to his bones and his liver. From what the doctors have told us this is an aggressive cancer and there has not been much research done on it so its just trial an error with which chemo will work.

Julesc answered...

Hey Jackie, I was diagnosed 4 years ago at the ripe old age of 26 with Adenoid Cystic Carcenoma. Fun times. Basically I had a very slow growing tumor in my neck, right under my jaw bone. Surgery and Radiation were the treatment, but it can be very persistant and apparently likes to come back years later. Not sure on the cause, but symptoms for me were dry mouth, obviously the lump, and I found myself getting sick with colds and flu all the time. It was like I had no immune system. I do not believe it spreads too fast, but it is very aggressive. Hugs.

Newbee answered...

I was just diagnosed with basel cell adenocarcinoma of the parotid gland. They removed the entire gland and hopefully all the tumor. No results on the lymph nodes so I am having a PET scan next week and begin radiation the week after.

I was told it was very rare and very aggressive, but treatable. I will be glad to have the PET scan to see if there is anything else going on.

Good luck to all dealing with cancer!

Mikejanarch answered...

My partner had squamous cell cancer in the parotid salivary gland. The time between first symptoms and death was a year. He acted on the first symptoms promptly, but there may have been a misdiagnosis; at 3 months the cancer was labeled "very bad". Surgery followed on the 4th month, radiation and chemo with Erbitux began at 6 months but the side-effects were intolerable. (A reduced regime of Erbitux and Cisplatin was tried and was tolerable.) By the end of the 9th month the cancer was found to have metastasized to the backbone and soft tissues.

Best of luck.

Lonna answered...

My husband had a lump in his neck for a few years before he was diagnosed in 1972 with salivary gland cancer. They did a radical neck dissection and discovered the lump was the size of a grapefruit. Other than surgery, they did nothing. Two years later it was back. Forty radiation treatments later he was given a clean bill of health. One year later it was back. More surgery. He was given another clean bill of health. And he's still alive and well, takes no meds, and has never had another bout with it. So, take heart. A cancer diagnosis is NOT a death sentence. Just try to find doctors who specialize in your diagnosis. Good luck and God bless.