How do I find a good senior move manager?

I live 300 miles from my mom who is moving into an assisted living at the end of next month. I've used up a lot of my PTO helping her find a place to move and I recently read about senior move managers and it seems they could be a point-person for the move, which would be great. She can't really do this on her own so I know extra help is needed and I'd like to throw some money at the problem versus flying down there every weekend until the move, but here's my worry -- since this person will be in my mom's house what I am wondering is how do I know find a good, trustworthy senior move manager? Is there some way to vet them? What questions should I ask? Any guidance would be great.

Nan Hayes is founder of, the national resource network of Certified Relocation and Transition Specialists for seniors, and President of RightSized Living, a senior home transition service in Illinois.

You ask a great question. Finding the right support for parents in another state is often challenging. But you are in luck. The website supports the nation's largest professional network of move managers and other providers who assist with projects such as moving, downsizing, estate sale and more. 100% of the individuals in the database are required to pass security screening, carry insurance and each must pass an industry Certification exam,CRTS,which evaluates competency in senior relocation services. Certified providers can also help you save on moving costs, packing materials and services such as junk removal. As you have correctly guessed,working with an expert also helps reduce family stress, allowing you more time to focus on mom.

The Assisted Living Community you are moving to may also provide a list of local resources. More and more communities are partnering with movers, Professional Organizers and Senior Real Estate Specialists to provide better support for incoming residents.

Margit novack answered...

The National Association of Senior Move Managers (NASMM)provides a searchable listing of members, by location. NASMM also provides a list of questions to ask when interviewing Senior Move Managers, to confirm that they have the background and skill set you are looking for. NASMM members are all insured and commit to abide by the NASMM Code of Ethics. There are several education and training programs, such as CRTS and the Certificate in Senior Move Management (cSMM. However, there are hundreds of experienced, reputable companies who have not taken formal training. You can access NASMM at Margit Novack President,Moving Solutions Founding President, MASMM

Kitty r. answered...

I actually used a senior move manager from the National Association of Senior Move Manager(NASMM)for my parents last year. It worked out so well - can't say enough. NASMM is a non-profit organization with a ton of education for their members and a strict Code of Ethics. They are really well-known for their standards.

My parents lived in Tucson, and they wanted to move closer to me in Ohio. NASMM helped me find senior move managers in both cities - one for help before the move in AZ, and one to help in OH. Both were great and were way more affordable than you might think. You should definitely give them a call at 877-606-2766 or go to their website: I have referred several friends to NASMM since then, and all have been really happy with the results. Good luck!