(800) 973-1540

Can I be removed as responsible party for nursing home agreement?

2 answers | Last updated: Feb 24, 2015
A fellow caregiver asked...

What if I have already signed a Nursing Home agreement as the responsible party? Can I ask them to remove me as the responsible party?


Caring.com User - Joseph L.  Matthews
Caring.com Expert
Joseph L. Matthews is a Caring.com Expert, an attorney, and the author of Long-Term Care: How to Plan & Pay for It and...
100% helpful
Joseph L. Matthews answered...

If a nursing home participates in either Medicare or Medicaid -- as almost all do -- then the federal Nursing Home Reform Law prohibits it from requiring guaranteed payment from See also:
Older Family Members Don't Have Enough Money? New Tool Helps You Find Financial Benefits

See all 420 questions about Paying for Care
anyone other than the resident -- your parent. This is true even if your parent is not presently covered by either Medicare or Medicaid.

A nursing home that doesn't participate in either of these programs may legally do so, however. And any nursing home may require the person who acts as the power of attorney agent for a resident to sign as the responsible party acting as the agent -- which means responsible to pay out of the resident's assets but not becoming personally responsible.

If you've signed as a personally responsible party for your parent's nursing home residence agreement, and the nursing home participates in Medicare or Medicaid, notify the nursing home that you believe the agreement is unlawful under the federal Nursing Home Reform Law and ask that your name be removed. Even if the facility doesn't participate in Medicare or Medicaid, the agreement you signed might not be a legally binding contract. In either case, you may need to seek help from a lawyer who specializes in elder law. You can find legal help from the non-profit National Senior Citizens Law Center, or from a specialist lawyer referred to you through your local county bar association's lawyer referral service or through the National Academy of Elder Law Attorneys.


More Answers
100% helpful
An anonymous caregiver answered...

I have a form from the nursing home that asks me to accept the terms and conditions that I will be responsible for all outstanding debts and legal fees. Thank you so much for posting this and I will give a copy to my mom's nursing facility.