What is refractory anemia ringed sideroblasts thrombocytosis?

Autism asked...

I just found on my mother has refractory anemia ringed sideroblasts and thrombocytosis. Can anyone give me any info on this disorder????

Refractory anemia with ringed sideroblasts (RARS) is part of a spectrum of disorders known as myelodysplastic syndromes. This disease usually presents with an anemia, and upon working up the cause of the anemia, this abnormality with the blood cells is discovered. People with RARS can also have thromobocytopenia (low platelets) and leukopenia (low white blood cell counts), but not always. Diagnosis is usually made with tests like peripheral blood smears and a bone marrow biopsy. Other causes of anemias should be excluded as well.

Treatment of this disorder is supportive, and usually involves monitoring bloodwork and getting transfusions as needed. If there is a low erythropoetin level, sometimes treatment with Epogen or Aranesp may help. I would recommend having your mother followed by a hematologist for this disorder.

Laura gay answered...

dear wendy, my husband has rars-t as well. it is not a common blood disorder. he has been sick for 2 years and 4 months ago the doctor gave his blood disoder the name rars-t. he gets his top up (transfusions) every two weeks now and they have been closer together. started at about every 8-6 weeks apart and now two weeks apart. we are going to see our dr next week to ask some more questions. like just how close can they get?. he has started to take exjade for the iron overload caused from having trasfusions. so far no side effects from that. he does get very tired and breahtless. he also has a heart condition which is not good as all this puts estra strain on the organs.his platelets are also getting low. my heart goes out to you with your mother so far away you must feel so frustrated but you have yourself and family to look after. you are in my prayers and thoughts. if i can help you futher plesse go to my site. love laura

Missbell answered...

Is there a support grope I can get evolved with?