What can I do about recurring calluses on my feet?

Atilla asked...

For 12 years I have had 4-6 calluses on the bottom of my feet. They are deep, going almost to my bone. They cause pain when I walk and I like long distance walking. Surgeons take them off, but they always occur again. What can I do?

Jane Andersen, DPM, is a board-certified podiatrist in private practice in Chapel Hill, North Carolina. She provides surgical and nonsurgical foot and ankle care to all types of patients, including the geriatric population in her area. With the American Podiatric Medical Association, she has worked to educate the public on foot and ankle health.

Recurrent foot calluses are a very difficult problem. There is no permanent cure for many types of calluses. There are ways to help your pain including regular trimmings by a podiatrist, use of creams(such as urea based creams like Carmol), and custom orthotics which can take the pressure off the painful areas. For some people, surgery can be done on the underlying bones to permanently relieve calluses. Your podiatrist can take x-rays and tell you if this is a possibility or not.