How can I make sure that I am on my parents' "survivor" list with the federal government to make sure I recieve benefits after they pass on?

Provissimo asked...

For Social Security survivors benefits, the Social Security Administration does not keep any list of qualifying survivors. After someone dies who has been entitled to Social Security benefits, that person's qualifying survivors show evidence of their relationship to the deceased at a local Social Security office. The evidence could include a birth certificate, marriage certificate, death certificate and Social Security numbers. The Social Security system then verifies the relationship and determines how much is payable in survivors benefits.

However, unless you are a minor or severely disabled, you are not entitled to Social Security survivors benefits based on your parents work record. Social Security survivors benefits are paid only to the deceased person's surviving spouse and minor or disable children, and in some case to dependent parents. So, to get Social Security benefits based on either of your parent's work record, you must be either an unmarried minor (under age 18) or someone who was severely disabled before the age of 22 (and you remain disabled). Otherwise, no Social Security survivors benefits are paid to adult children. To find out more about Social Security survivors benefits, you can go to the survivors benefits page of the Social Security Administration Web site .

Ladysadi answered...

I received a check from SS after my dad's death. He was on disability. I am over 18 and married so from everything I've read I should not have gotten anything. Could you help me figure out what I was paid for so I can have peace of mind that they didn't screw up and I will have to pay it back eventually?

Donnarichie answered...

Both my parents Disable Get Benifits And I Am Disable Get Benifts Both parents pass away I go social security See If I"m in Title To Any Benifits Worker Try Tell Me I Need My parent permission to Draw off of There And said Need Paper Fill out By Them Before Pass Away..Don't Know If This Trues I only Child on Benifits To be In Title My mom told me she want me draw off her when she passed away..IM Get Run Around By Them..