What causes someone with dementia to tap on tables, when not occupied?

Clipper asked...

When out and he is disinterested/can't follow a conversation or is at a music venue, he taps on the table which is a distraction to others and me. when not occupied with an activity he will do it also, do it sometimes quite hard to make a loud noise. At adult day care he does it and it irritates other clients. I was thinking maybe he should be on some sort of tranquilizer. I don't want him to be like a zoombie as he is on enough meds already. Any ideas out there? Clipper

Ladislav Volicer, M.D., Ph.D., is recognized as an international expert on advanced dementia care. He is a courtesy full professor at the School of Aging Studies, University of South Florida, Tampa, and visiting professor at the Third Medical Faculty, Charles University, Prague, Czech Republic. Twenty-five years ago, he established one of the first dementia special care units.

What he is doing is caused by boredom. What he needs is a meaningful activity; music that he likes, simple conversation/reminiscence, simple activity like sorting. You certainly would not want to treat it with sedating medication that would decrease his quality of life.