Can Prilosec be used to treat irritable bowel syndrome?

Happyandrea asked...

Aramsden50 answered...

Although Prilosec is typically prescribed as a treatment for heartburn, there is at least anecdotal evidence that it can be beneficial for IBS sufferers as well because it works to prevent the formation of stomach acid and reduce gastrointestinal inflammation. Patients with GERD have been known to find relief from their symptoms by taking Prilosec or Omeprazole, and IBS sufferers may also benefit, although it should be recognized that Prilosec requires a period of a few days to take full effect at inhibiting acid formation; however, as yet there are no studies showing any ill effects from prolonged use of Prilosec, so IBS sufferers should feel safe giving it a try.

I have IBS and take this for the symptoms and it is extremely helpful. When you quit taking it however for a few days, the IBS really flares up; but overall, it has been a perfect treatment for me

Mrsmiller answered...

I too have IBS and have been on Prilosec for a month and have seen a huge positive difference. Wish my doctor would have put me on this 10 years ago!

Prilosec worked well answered...

My son was diagnosed with Post Infecctious IBS after a stomach virus. After 8 weeks of pain and an increased number of bowel movements daily, a Boston Children's specialist prescribed Omeprezol (Prilosec) twice a day. It has worked wonderfully and our little boy is happy again. He's healing from the illness and hasn't had pain in over a week and very little pain over the past 3 weeks on Prilosec. We took Gluten and Dairy out of his diet a month ago and then re-introduced gluten with no issues. We'll wait another few weeks to re-introduce dairy. We do feel the Omeprezol was a big part in his healing process. We also have been giving him a Lactobasillis probiotic. Hope this helps some Mom out there. The suffering for 8 weeks should never have happened. Watching our son in pain day after day was torture especially when the other doctors were telling us to just use Tylenol. Prilosec is a very mild medication that allows for the gut to heal when inflamed. ;-)

I have ibs with constipation, and I find that omeprizole helps me formulate full and healthy stool. It takes a couple of days and only works for as long as I'm on it!

I find omeprizole helps very much with my ibs with constipation. It works the next day without fail. The only side effect I had was that I did get food poisoning when no one else did. I think it's because the lack of acid in my stomach to fight bad bacteria. I'm now trying to add positive bacteria in hopes that this will counter that effect. So be careful what and where you eat when killing all the acid in your stomach. That said, it sure is wonderful to have regular bowel movements!

Pinetree answered...

I have been taking omeprozole for many years. When I try to wean off bum get less and less and my who gi tract hurts ., also constipation starts up. I have taken senna for 30 years with the omeprozole. I have no problem with iibsc or constipation.as long as I take the omeprozole. I have ibsc and constipated all my life.

Pinetree answered...

Omeprozole is very helpful for my ibsc.