Is taking Prednisone and Neurontin a problem for my mother who has Parkinsons?

Dolltearsheet asked...

She is experiencing acute back pain -- we think it may be another herniated disc -- and are awaiting an apppointment for an MRI. She is also experiencing severe headaches, insomnia and some memory loss. I'm alarmed about the severity of the headaches. Please help. Thank you so much, as always!

Graham A. Glass, MD, is the co-founder of PEAK Neurology and Sleep Medicine, LLC with multiple locations across Alaska. Previously, he was deputy director of the San Francisco Parkinson's Disease Research, Education, and Clinical Care Center PADRECC and assistant clinical professor of neurology at the University of California, San Francisco (UCSF). Glass received his medical degree from the University of Texas Health Sciences Center at the San Antonio School of Medicine and completed his neurology residency at Tufts-New England Medical Center. He subsequently completed a fellowship in movement disorders at the Mayo Clinic.

Typically Prednisone nor Neurontin are a problem in and of themselves for Parkinson's disease patients. They don't really interact with the PD meds (though I obviously don't know your mother's specific regimen). That being said, they do have independent side effects and affect all patients in different ways. I'm sorry to not be able to provide a more specific answer to your question, but typically they are fairly well tolerated and it seems like there are other issues ongoing that may explain some of the symptoms.