(800) 973-1540

Is Mom responsible for paying back VA pension if the VA made the mistake?

1 answer | Last updated: Sep 08, 2014
MAGGIEM asked...

Caring.com User - Rita Files
Caring.com Expert
Send a Hug or Prayer
Rita Files, LPN, VSR, a nationally recognized expert on the elderly, has more than 30 years of experience in the health care industry, with...

When dealing with the issue of paying the VAback for overpayment, you should not go it alone. You should contact a veterans service organization that will provide a service See also:
Veterans Benefits: Financial Help for Veterans and Their Survivors

See all 176 questions about Financial Assistance for Seniors
organization representative, also known as a veterans service officer at no cost. Service organizations include AMVETS, the American Legion, the Disabled American Veterans, the Veterans of Foreign Wars, and Vietnam Veterans of America, etc. or visit your local VA office.This should be done ASAP to insure a timely response to the letter you received from the VA.

It is always best to communicate with the VA in writing and not rely on telephone communication. In fact, it is advisable to send all letters to the VA by certified mail, return-receipt-requested and keep a record and copies of all letters and communications sent by you to the VA.

I suggest reviewing VA Form 21-0790 for more details about your rights to representation and a hearing in the case of possible overpayment.


Ask a question Ask a question | Add an answer Add an answer