Can I get help to pay for a caregiver?

1 answer | Last updated: Sep 14, 2017
A fellow caregiver asked...

I live off a small disability check each month. I also have fibromyalgia, and it is real hard for me to do most things. I am able to cook, wash dishes, and laundry. I live with the home owner, as I cannot afford to live by myself. I am not able because of body pain to do the real deep down cleaning the house needs. Is there any program that can help me get someone? I cannot afford a maid. Thank you

Expert Answers

Merrily Orsini, MSSW, was a pioneer in the business of providing geriatric care managed in-home care. She currently serves on the board of the National Association for Home Care and Hospice and is Chair of the Private Duty Homecare Association. She holds a master's degree in social work and is a nationally known writer and speaker on aging, elder issues, and in-home care.

Most states have programs that assist income eligible people who need household assistance to keep out of a nursing home. These programs pay for a caregiver, if you are eligible. I suggest you contact your Area Agency on Aging or your county human services office and see if you can get a case manager assigned to come and assess you for assistance in the home. Regulations as to eligibility differ per region, so it might be a good idea to read those prior to making the call so you will know, in advance, what the criteria for assistance is and if you qualify.Try the Eldercare Locator as a starting point:[]