Does having a pacemaker make you uninsurable for long-term...

Does having a pacemaker make you uninsurable for long-term care insurance? I had a pacemaker put in 3 years ago. Does this automatically disqualify me from getting long term care insurance?

Duane Lipham is a certified long-term care (CLTC) consultant who writes extensively on long-term care insurance issues. Lipham has also been a caregiver for members of his own family.

Just having a pacemaker implanted does not automatically result in a decline of an application for long-term care insurance.

While underwriting guidelines vary from one insurer to another, most carriers will require that at least a period of 3 - 6 months go by after the installation to make sure that everything is working properly.

After this period is over, if there are no major cardiac or circulatory problems in evidence, your application has a good chance of being approved.

Oldfarmerf@aim.com answered...

Oh, let me tell you this one. My brother tried to get long term ins. for his wife. They denied her because she had been taking Aracept!

Your sister-in-law was denied coverage because she's already been diagnosed with dementia. That is why she's taking Aricept, and why she was declined coverage. You can't buy fire insurance for your home after it starts burning, and you cannot buy LTCI after you've been diagnosed with something that will very likely cause you to need long-term care. Buy it when you are young and healthy, and don't wait until you are uninsurable.

When my husband got 2 pacemakers it made no didderence to the insurance company. He has NY Medicaid. They are great!